Installing 8800GTX

cuui

Beta member
I've never dealt with these supplemental power cables before, I will be blunt. I see that the card takes 2 6 pin connectors - the other end of these cables have 3 holes and 1 prong (or maybe 1 prong 3 holes and the ones I connect to the PSU are 3 prongs 1 hole...but you get the point). So I'm figuring I have to connect these cables to supplemental cords coming from my PSU. Do I have to connect both? I think I see cables coming from my PSU that aren't being used, but I'm not sure if they're both meant to be connected to the video card?

Any help appreciated

Yes, you have to have both power supply plugs plugged in.

Do note, its a powerful card, and some Power Supplies may not even have 2 video card power connectors.
These are changeable though with adapters as I've just checked, so you could change a standard molex connector to a video card 6 pin connector:

http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images/PCI Express 4 pin to 6 pin power adapter.jpg

If you do have to use adapters to get the 2 required, you have to make sure that you are using 2x 12v seperate rails, and not just sharing one rail.

I.e, use 2 seperate power cords coming from the power supply, so two seperate connectors, not shared on the same cord, i.e by using a splitter.

My PSU came with pci-e connectors but they weren't dedicated, they were just molex cables with adaptors. So you should be fine changing them as Kage said.

Most modern PSU's have dedicated plugs.

14-143-080-05.jpg

what power supply do you have, make sure your power supply can handle this card before you hook it up or your going to roast it, the gtx takes some serious power. It's definitely not a card I would be using adapters on, I'd get a power supply with dedicated connections and can handle the drain.

or you can buy adapters to turn the 4 pin peripheral connections into a PCI-E connection.

oops.... already been suggested :eek:

Back
Top Bottom