Installed Sound and Now it Restarts PC!

karling07

Daemon Poster
I just got my sound working (on an XP computer, good enough specs to not be freezing with sound playing) by installing two audio things through "ADD NEW HARDWARE". The first one I installed was called Audio Media something and when i installed it, the sound didnt work on the PC (and it hadnt before that either). SO i tried the next one which had the exact same name and it went through installing a bunch of nVidia drivers and stuff.

Then i tried to play an mp3 file and it worked! It played well but there was some definite static in the background. And occasionally i thought i was hearing sounds like gunshots?

And then after a little bit, the PC just restarted on its own! Completely random, no prompt. Screen just went blank... So then it was on again and I tried to play some music, hoping it was just a random fluke. But it happened again, this time after I had gone through a few music files...

Any ideas? (perhaps it isnt even related to the sound)?

Thanks!

Also can you tell where you go the files from? they could be broked, which could be causing the problem. Anyways, information on specs and file names and where you got them.

1 GB RAM, 512 was brand new from newegg, 512 was used from another working computer.

Processor: AMD 2000+ XP

Not exactly sure what the motherboard is... But it has onboard sound.

Case: Foxconn black/silver that came with a power supply-->Peak Power: 350W, Max Power: 250W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811153027

1 30GB Hard Drive maxtor @ 7200 RPMs

128MB brand new nVidia graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164030

The songs are regular mp3s that have all worked fine in the past (its networked to another PC that has all the songs on it). And the songs open up fine on my other PC.

Thanks

UPDATE: Now Im getting a bunch of BSODs!

Please help! This is a brand new clean copy of windows!

maybe one of the ram sticks is faulty. Try taking one out and then doing stuff. If the problem still occurs put that one in and take out the other one. Then try again. If it still continues then it's not the ram.

use the code from the bsod and enter it into microsofts knowledge database. there should be an article matching your code #, and it will tell you what is going wrong.

Back
Top Bottom