Installed memory - Not using all that's installed - W10 x64

ehjay

Beta member
I've searched the 'net for help but I just can't seem to figure it out. My computer reads that I have 6.00 GB RAM but only 3.37 GB is usable.

I've seen that using x32 versions can cause this but I have yet to figure out why my x64 version is doing this.

Would anyone kindly have any tips for me?

Cheers.

Is it possible that memory is shared with on board graphics? Also check for any legacy settings regarding RAM in the BIOS and turn them off. Make sure that the RAM you are using meets all motherboard specifications as well.

Wow thanks for the speedy reply.

I don't want to sound "new" but how exactly for I find out if the graphics are being shared.

I also can't seem to figure out which exact motherboard I have except that it's an ASUSTek.

Finally, There doesn't seem to be any option in my (Phoenix) BIOS where I can edit anything that has to do with RAM.

Any chance you could lend a hand?

It should dynamically allocate RAM to your IGPU. If the CPU should ever need more than 3.37 gig, it should take from the IGPU if it doesn't need it itself.
Test this by filling up your RAM, and see if you get more usable RAM. (don't run a game when doing this)

My RAM is actually as full as it can be with what I have in the house. I have 4 slots, 2 with 2 GB and 2 with 1 GB.

Besides saying that, I have no idea what you're saying, ie: dynamically allocating. :S

By dynamically allocating i mean that the amount of RAM dedicated to your IGPU (Integrated graphics processing unit) changes according you need.
Apparently that's not the case. Some motherboards give you the option to change it manually. But you say you can't find that feature.
I am not sure if you are able to change it then.

Is it a desktop or laptop?

Sorry for late reply btw.

Back
Top Bottom