Inspiron problem

Entangledphoton

Baseband Member
Hi there. I recently was given a used Dell Inspiron2600 laptp. It worked fine when I got it and I then installed a new operating system to give it a boost. It only has 128 MB of RAM and windows works a little slowly with that for my tastes.
Anyway, after the install, I boot the computer and it seems a little odd. It was too quiet.
After a few tries I realized that the fan simply was no longer doing anything, making it hazardous to leave the computer on for any significant amount of time.
When I boot it up the fan spins for about 3 seconds and then slowly spins down.

I was wondering if perhaps this has anything to do with the power management whichis supposed to tell the fan when to spin and if this can be remedied by a hardware or software fix.

If not I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new fan module.

here's some info that may help

the processor is a 1.2 GHz Celeron
the video is integrated and uses 32 MB shared RAM and the i810 driver
I am using Xandros OCE 3.0 right now

That actually sounds pretty normal... Why don't yoiu try and find some motherboard monitor program and keep an eye on it, then run something strenuous to see how hot it gets and if the fan kicks in. That's how most laptops work...

Well sometimes it's still spinning but you just don't realize it. My system starts loud when I boot it up...then it gets quieter as I log in. :)

Back
Top Bottom