Inside dirty rigs

Haha I've seen my fair share of those.

The old 775 heatsink seems to be a prime place for a big old gathering of dust!

Sure but how many of those came straight from being used? I've got some that are about as nasty and they are still used everyday.

Sure but how many of those came straight from being used? I've got some that are about as nasty and they are still used everyday.

Yeah definitely I would say they actually gather more dust in use that when sat in a corner somewhere!

Dust finds it difficult to get inside the case without either a fan sucking in or a fan blowing out causing a vacuum

Yeah they haven't been cleaned for a long time. Some have been sitting in dirty work sites for to long.
Best way to clean them is with an air compressor or a can of compressed air, you only need to take the cover off and give them a good blow out. Then you should put new thermal paste on the CPU just to make sure. Chances are if you have a computer that dirty then the thermal paste could use a change.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Also all of these were still in working order!

It's hard for me to grasp how people let their computers get this bad.

Then again, dust, time and a can of compressed air as helped make me a lot of money.

Yeah and an excuse to remount the CPU heatsink. They'll think your some kind of miracle worker. Cha Ching...

I've seen as bad. Sometimes I let my desktops get worse than I want them, but they never get as bad as most of those. A can of compressed air is not going to cut it for that. 5 cans of compressed air probably won't either. A computer vac would be better for that. Canned air never really works that well once you start using it for more than 30 seconds at a time. For that kind of a job I'd completely take out everything and wipe it all down, then use air to get it off the components and hard to get to places.

As for weird things found in computers, I heard a story from one of my instructors that found a dead rat in one. :p

Back
Top Bottom