****ing annoying random crashes.

It's always sounded loud as hell, I used to plug the fan all the time before I got this CPU which maxes out the PSU and the MOBO's capabilities.
I'll have to make some money, what's a good, cheap 500W one go for these days?

you might want to see if you can borrow a psu from someone to be sure that's the problem, though replacing that psu anyway wouldn't be a bad idea, putting your specs into a psu calculator says you pull about 252w but that's without including any case fans or PCI cards (wireless, sound, etc.) that you may have running...

The PSU could be giving you bad voltages. And the wattage might be mainly for the 5V rail, rather than 12V, which modern computers use more of.

If it doesn't, can I hate you forever?

I would go with the psu Remeniz suggested, even if you still have problems at least you will have a good psu to power any future upgrades, that's a decent modular psu at a reasonable price and your psu may be on it's last legs because of overheating, psus need to be cooled too...

It actually, when it was plugged, never got hot at all. Stayed pretty DAMN cool :p

The switching transistors that are mounted on heatsinks inside PSU's like to have a 'waft' of air passing by to keep them kool.

The thing is switching PSU's usually only get hot when you draw lots of power from them. I.E. Stress testing/Heavy graphical/Audio editing.

If your CPU fan was noisy you'd replace it. Not 'plug' it. :eek:

And fry your CPU! :D

You may want to look into a better cooling solution for the northbridge chip as they are known to get extremely hot and can cause problems such as the ones you are having.

As for a power supply, if you are planning on getting a GTX 285, they require at least a 550W PSU w/40A @12V. This would be a good choice of price, performance and quality: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W

You may want to look into a better cooling solution for the northbridge chip as they are known to get extremely hot and can cause problems such as the ones you are having.

As for a power supply, if you are planning on getting a GTX 285, they require at least a 550W PSU w/40A @12V. This would be a good choice of price, performance and quality: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W

AR,
I would recommend a modular supply to him
Wish I would have gotten one
I have all these cables in my case that are just hanging there.

Back
Top Bottom