INF install failure

Mother_Superior

Solid State Member
well ive been trying to install macromedia flash player 7 for quite some time and i have downloaded loads of copies from different websites.
I can download the file no problem but when it comes to installation its cracking me up. :mad: An error appears saying:

INF Install Failure. Reason Unknown then after pressing OK another box pops up sayin Installation complete but it hasnt installed. :confused:

i then downloaded version 6 of flash player and the same thing happened again. so after that i downloaded version 5 and that worked perfectly fine. i then tried to install 6 & 7 but neither work. some games websites dont work etc. i have service pack 2 installed and wondered if this has anything to do with it?? please help anything would be great :D

Hi

I have looked this problem up and found on another forum and found what could be the answer for you:

Basically if you select the link on a website, and the window appears asking yu to either "Run" after it has downloaded, or to "Save As". Run save as, and save it to the desktop or something instead of "run" if that is what you have been doing. Then simply run it from the location and it might work

It might also be worth mentioning that Macromedia has some sort of clean up program which cleans up broken versions of the flash player for installing over them, just incase the un-installer didn't get rid of anything. I don't know where to get this from though I'm afraid.

Hope this helps

ive been trying to install it on IE 6

and to answer the other question i have been "saving as " in folders and on the desktop and still doesnt seem to work . :confused: thanx for lookin it up though.

Goto your internet options>Settings>View Objects and there you will have a list of objects that are installed. Check and remove the ones which are linked to macromedia; also clear your c:\windows\temp folder. Download and install the latest version of macromedia and it should work.

Internet Explorer 6 should have no issues. If you go into Options though, there might be an option to switch on Flash (I don't know though because I'm using firefox) that might be affecting the installation?

seeing as version 5 worked, this is weird. The guy in the forum used System Restore which made it work, but yuo seem like you've had the problem for some time.

Goto tools internet options and show installed programs and delete everything you see there. Some things might be affecting the installation. Usuualy these installed programs wouldn't be anything, but check to make sure

Hope these suggestions help

Edit: Zero4Zero...you kinda beat me to it though with a kinda different suggestion

Macromedia Inf Fix

This fix applies to both ShockWave and Flash (Windows 2000 Pro):

Registry Fix
1. Run C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe
2. Navigate down to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
3. Select the SECURITY pull down menu
4. Select the Permissions option.
5. Verify/provide the following accounts have the correct permissions:
a. Administrators | Full Control | This key and subkeys
b. Power Users | Full Control | This key and subkeys
c. System | Full Control | This key and subkeys
d. Users | Read | This key and subkeys
6. Verify/check allow inheritable permissions … is checked
7. Click on the Advanced button
8. Check reset permissions on all child objects….

Note this fix appplies to Windows XP as well.

Back
Top Bottom