inbuilt wifi and usb wifi. which one will be active ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
If i have inbuilt wifi in a laptop and i put an external wifi card in which module will be the active one ?

Will usb favour pci card slot ?

I know you can disable inbuilt but for convenience i would like the usb when plugged in to be the module used for wifi.

Curious why you would need an external wifi card, when the on-board is working?

I've never tried this so I can't be of much help answering the actual question. I'm going to guess though, that Windows will use which ever one has the best signal? It'd be like plugging in an ethernet cable and being connected to a wifi network too right? And to be honest I'm not sure which one wins their either...:lol:

ha :) think you are right, the one with the strongest signal won.

Im trying to get a stronger signal from my router using a 5m usb extention wire so i can attach a external adapter and move it outside the metal wall that deflects most of the wifi strength.

However for some reason the adapter must be loosing power along the long line as its not working when attached to the adapter.

They sell "powered" usb extension cables (or maybe 'repeater' - not sure exactly what they are called) but we use them here at my work. Maybe that would help?

Back
Top Bottom