Im stuck.. need help with DOS

raya

Solid State Member
Ok.. so I got an OLDDDD notebook pc for free from a friend. its for my aunt who just mainly needs it for writing when she cannot get out of bed. When I turn it on it says "missing operating system"
from what I was reading online, Im guessing I had to download an older ms-dos program online, and install it (i could be wrong) but the only one i could find is 6.1 and it wont fit on a disk so i can transfter it to the notebook. I cant find ms-dos 3.1 ANYWHERE that I can download? Does someone know where I can download it or am I just WRONG all together and it needs something else?
please help!

if nothing else... if your located in the us... call my offices or you can request a call from us and we can help you get it running free of charge.

ill try bootdisk.. if all else fails, i can call you. im in Canada but have free calls to the US

i saved it and put it the disk in the notebook and it just says "non-system disk or disk error. replace and strike any key when ready"

is there something im doing wrong? or should i be booting it up a special way?

Dos 6.1 originally came on 3 installation disks, you could install it to the disk from start up...

Assuming that there is nothing on the hard drive you want to keep...

Create an MSdos boot disk using windows XP (Its on the format flopy disk dialogue) boot from this disk on the laptop and type format c: /s this will copy system files to the hard disk and allow you to bot into dos, (of course you won't have the tools that came with the three disk install...

but a better idea is probably to use a bootable winows D to install an opperating system.

ok I made the boot disk with the windows xp / format floppy disk you said :) it started loading and now says
A:\>

i dont know what to type for that

Back
Top Bottom