I'm sorta back . . . I got money - Upgrade Time!

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Hey guys!
Long time no see! Well, you get the point but anyway . .

I haven't been on the forums for quite some time now as School Started up, SAT studying etc. I've been saving up money all summer long and I just hit about $550 or slightly more.

I was thinking of getting a laptop - HP's Dv2z
That laptop is just a bit bigger than a netbook and can actually game quite well but I'm getting that for Christmas . . .

I see the Anouncement that the forums being updated, GREAT! I think quite a bit of flaming will disappear once that update is complete.

And now to the meat of my new sorta come back post!
I got thinking today and I decided I wanted to update my computer. I'm still playing WoW and what's sad is with my AMD 5600+ X2 Windsor CPU at 3Ghz I get slight lag when I switch to other windows. (I play WoW windowed so I can get to firefox etc)

Big budget - 600 Bucks

Well, there was a big bummer for me when I found out that the new 5870's are coming out and I'm looking and there looking fricken amazing! Puts my 4870 to shame(Wonder if I can crossfire a 4870 with a 5870 >.>). A price speculation from one site is a 1GB card for Less than $400 and a 2GB card for $450. I'm hoping for lower prices but that's not happening . . .

Anyway . . . my setup right now is -
Asus M2N32 SLI WiFi Motherboard
A AMD X2 5600+ Athlon Windsor @ 3.0Ghz
2Gb of DDR2 RAM at 860Mhz
Win 7 - 64 bit
1.25TB HDD space ^.^

I'm thinking of doing a whole Motherboard swap-out to a AMD Phenom II X4 955 with new shiny 4GB of DDR3 memory.

Just wanting some discussion/controversey/advice for the following build parts -

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition & ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard Combo Deal

As for DDR3 Memory, I wanted to get 4GB of any type of DDR3 RAM with a 6 Cas Latency but I'm not sure if there really is a big difference between higher Cas Latency's etc. I'm still looking, but please recommend me one if you have one in mind.

I also have one more question - When I switch out my motherboard, will I have to do anything with my current Window's installations? Like reformat etc? I have enough space to back up all my things, just want to know what to expect.

Haven't you guys missed my long posts? xD

you shouldnt hafto reformat since its W7

and you do know about the 965 @ 3.4Ghz right?

but that looks to be a good package there with the 955 ;)

Back
Top Bottom