Im new

Cert Search

Beta member
Hello everyone!! I am studying for my A+ cert and i am overwhelmed by all the information out there about hardware and software. I really do not have a lot of experience with computers and am having trouble identifying the pieces and parts. where should i begin?

Read a book :) Try the test dumps. In my opinion the A+ and MS Win 2k tests were a joke, I did a practice test that I printed out from the web while I was waiting at the testing place and passed on first try. In all honesty, why are you taking the A+ exam if you don't know alot about computers?

Dude

I want to know about computers. I hear its great money. that honestly what im in it for. right now im afraid to take the test, it costs too much money to fail. i need some serious study time to get certified. I have been a student for almost a year and i shoould be certified in xp and server 2003 and net+ before im 30.what do you think about those certs?

It's all well and good having certificates mate. It's hands on experience that you need, and your not going to learn that out of books. You need to get a part time job in your local computer shop and start learning how to troubleshoot. Tell the owner you'll work for no pay till you get some experience. You will be getting paid in knowledge though, so it's not as bad as sounds.

Personally haven't taken the 2003 and xp. but they'll probably be a joke like the 2000 ones if you know your stuff. The money is not bad at all, but it's not great. I'm stil going to go to school, but in the short term before I get a degree in college it's better than I could do otherwise right now. The best way to get good at this stuff is experience, try finding a small computer shop that doesn't require A+ and work their for a few months. (I didn't need to do this personally but had had freinds that have). Build a computer yourself, if you don't trust yourself not to break things or don't have the money, find the cheapest crappiest parts out their and just tinker with it till it's working. You'll learn better, and gain more real skills and practical knowledge if you really work on the stuff hands on rather then just cramming for a test and reading the books than forgetting it after. The books are ment for people (even though the marketers may say otherwise) who already know what they are doing and just need to study. While the certifications may get you the job, remember you need the skills to keep it :) Good luck!

edit: Wombat - you beat me to it while I was typing my response :)

thanks people for your insight and support i need every bit of it as i can get. I'll continue to read the books and looking for a part time job for the experience. I have alot of questions still but you may not want to be an educator so ill just keep doing the basic stuff,. thanks!!

No worries, feel free to ask away. But definatly try to get a job at small shop, because experience will help you the most. There's only so much you can learn from books.

Go down to your local goodwill store and talk to them about getting your hands on an old computer that they don't want....be surprised about how many places refuse them because they don't have XP installed. Then play with it taking it apart and putting it back to gether again. Now continue to MONITOR the posts( you don't need to participate) as things are being discussed tyr to fix them on your old computer. learn about the different rams and the varied HDD's, look them up on google and compare them with what you already know or have.
http://certification.about.com/
this site has a lot of useful links and most are free for the asking....

Back
Top Bottom