I'm lost *Windows 2000* Install

Last week my Dad gave me a old Compaq Presario PC to reformat so I could give it to a co worker. Sounds simple enough but I didn't realize this was going to turn into a royal pain in the ass.

The computer by default had Windows 98 installed on it. I don't have a copy of 98 and the earliest thing I could find was a copy of Windows 2000 professional. While in 98 I couldn't get any of the 4 keyboards I tried to work. Tried both PS/2 and USB. So I decided to start searching for drivers. None of the keyboards I had came with a Windows 98 driver 2000 as earliest.

So I decide to do a format from within windows since I can't boot from cd at launch because I can't get a keyboard to respond. The install goes fine and everything gets setup. I then reach the point were I have to set the clocks and enter basic info. Well I get to the part were I need to enter a username and I can't enter a username. So I'm boned again since I can't pass that screen without entering a name. Again I tried each keyboard in both USB slots as well as the PS/2 slot. Granted I'm using a USB/PS/2 converter though. I don't have a straight PS/2 keyboard. I don't know if that would solve the problem or not. Okay so after about the 5th re launch from keyboards failing the setup wouldn't finalize now. By this point I'm getting pissed. So today I decided to pull it apart and put the drive in another computer and re format and install from that one.

Initially the drive didn't even respond. This is a old Jumbo 12GB drive. This drive is about 2 1/2 times the size of a normal HD. No jumper settings or anything. So I disconnect my main IDE drive on the test computer and hook this drive up under master. I managed to get windows 2000 reformatted and the keyboard worked fine on my secondary computer. So I got to the main screen and installed SP4 for 2000 then decided to take the drive out and put it back in the computer I'm giving away.

Get everything hooked up and the computer turns on and says Disc read error. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart. Now back to the original problem I can't hit that nor can I boot the cd because the god damn keyboard doesn't work. I should add this is a keyboard I use for my PS3 and I know it works.

So I'm at a complete loss what to do. Windows was working fine in my secondary computer but it won't do jack with this old one. I know it ran because I had 98 running for a bit trying to get a working keyboard with it. About the only other thing I can think of is asking at work tomorrow if anyone has a old PS/2 keyboard that I can try.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here though. But I'm all out of idea's. So if you've got any on how I can get this working let me know.

Thanks

The PS/2 connector on the mobo is most likely dead. Either that or it just doesn't like converters. First I guess you could try picking up an old PS/2 keyboard (i'm sure you could find an old one for like $1). If that doesn't work then it's the connector. I had this problem with one of my systems as well. PS/2 wouldn't work, and it was old, so it wouldn't have found the USB keyboard without drivers probably (but I didn't have a USB one at the time to try). I just gave up on that system. It's not worth the trouble if the keyboard's not going to work...

Some of the older systems are picky about using USB keyboards with PS/2 adapters. Your best bet would be to find a proper PS/2 keyboard, otherwise even if you did get W2K installed, you still couldn't use the computer without a keyboard.

Could you have a problem with the PS/2 input box on the computer?

Its tough to say since the computer wasn't mine. Its possible though.

The PS/2 connector on the mobo is most likely dead. Either that or it just doesn't like converters. First I guess you could try picking up an old PS/2 keyboard (i'm sure you could find an old one for like $1). If that doesn't work then it's the connector. I had this problem with one of my systems as well. PS/2 wouldn't work, and it was old, so it wouldn't have found the USB keyboard without drivers probably (but I didn't have a USB one at the time to try). I just gave up on that system. It's not worth the trouble if the keyboard's not going to work...

Ya I'm at a loss what to do. I'm going to check at work tomorrow and see if they have an old PS/2 keyboard I can try out. I'll post back if I find one. I was kind of pissed my Dad gave me an old pile of crap to restore. He's got another one down there but that was supposed to go to his girlfriends nephew. He's only 11 but they wanted him to get some exposure. So I want to get both systems up and running.

Some of the older systems are picky about using USB keyboards with PS/2 adapters. Your best bet would be to find a proper PS/2 keyboard, otherwise even if you did get W2K installed, you still couldn't use the computer without a keyboard.

Yes it must be the actual system. Because like I said I managed to get everything installed just fine on my secondary rig but its a lot newer than the one he gave me.

Anything about USB Input devices in the BIOS?

Can't access the bios or system menu because I can't interface with the computer. It makes it pretty much impossible to do anything when you can't get the keyboard to work.

I may try obtaining a copy of 98 if they have one at work to see if I can get that back on the system somehow.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Personally I think you have either a bad PS/2 input on your mobo or it doesn't like the adapter. If it won't read the keyboard to let you into the BIOS then I don't think it will matter how many different types of O/S you try installing. Get yourself a straight p/s2 keyboard and if it still doesn't work throw I would say it is rooted.

Well some of you were correct with your bad PS/2 input theory. I got a straight PS/2 input keyboard from a tech at work and upon boot the computer says error 384 keyboard or system error. It doesn't display that if I have a USB keyboard inserted.

I don't know if I can find a usb keyboard that it will except. Is there anyway to automatically get windows to automatically boot without a keystroke to launch the CD?

Back
Top Bottom