I'm looking into buying a PC mainly centered around music making and listening.

mrchainsaw

Baseband Member
I want a PC that I can use to make music with. I'm going to buy a synth and I'm going to use n-Track and fruity loops. I don't think any of this is too demanding, but I don't know much about computers. What kind of ports do I need? Would a MIDI controller plug into USB?

Other than making music, I'd want to listen to the music I've made, get on the internet. I have zero interest in gaming.

So could you point me in the right direction for a PC that could handle this? How much should I expect to spend?

no, it's not in the wrong forum, just looks like no-one has any good recomendations for you. You could prob. get a system that would suite your needs for pretty cheap.

CPU-wise and memory wise you probably wouldn't need too much at all. Maybe an AMD64 3200+ ($80 or so) a gig of ram (about another $80 or so) a lot of hard drive space.. high quality uncompressed music is pretty large. Maybe a 250 gig drive or so..

You can either buy stuff from www.newegg.com or just go buy a brand machine.. brand systems would do you fine since your not a gamer.. i'd say you shouldn't need to spend more than $450-$550..

mrchainsaw said:
I want a PC that I can use to make music with. I'm going to buy a synth and I'm going to use n-Track and fruity loops. I don't think any of this is too demanding, but I don't know much about computers. What kind of ports do I need? Would a MIDI controller plug into USB?

Other than making music, I'd want to listen to the music I've made, get on the internet. I have zero interest in gaming.

So could you point me in the right direction for a PC that could handle this? How much should I expect to spend?

What software you thinking of exactly running?

If you use programs that RAMDISK stuff (Ableton Live, Acid) you need alot of ram :)

If you run alot of effects chain's, you need a powerful processor.

If you want, you can add me to MSN or AIM as I know more about this field, and do audio recording personally.

DJ-CHRIS said:
What software you thinking of exactly running?

If you use programs that RAMDISK stuff (Ableton Live, Acid) you need alot of ram :)

If you run alot of effects chain's, you need a powerful processor.

If you want, you can add me to MSN or AIM as I know more about this field, and do audio recording personally.
I'll be using n-track and fruity loops.

i'll look for you on aim, i'm alk3110.

So how much are we talking here for your budget man?

For some quick suggestions,

2GB memory, dual core cpu, High End Sound card.

I'm just wondering how much I would need to spend, I don't have a budget.

I was expecting to spend like $500 or less. Is 2GB RAM and 250GB hard drives really necessary? I'm just going to be hooking up a MIDI controller and using n-track and fruity loops to be making some non professional quality music. The only thing that I expected to go heavy on was a hard drive, like maybe 120GB? Because I'll have other music I listen to as well as my own music. FL and n track don't take up much space or use much memory do they? I've heard of people just using normal computers to do this sort of stuff, not getting high end components.

Also, what kind of ports/slots/whatever should I get?

well are these music files going to be large or will you have alot? I would suggest
getting two 80GB in Raid0. Sounds plenty to me. That will only be like $95.95

AMD RULES said:
well are these music files going to be large or will you have alot? I would suggest
getting two 80GB in Raid0. Sounds plenty to me. That will only be like $95.95
I have no idea what kind of space the music I'll make will take up. The guy up above makes it seem like it's insanely huge, but he also said high quality, which I don't want and I definitely won't have the money to buy the hardware capable of it. I won't have more than an average amount of home made music. I don't know, I'm new to the whole thing.

As for other people's music, I'll probably have 20-30GB of that, but I can keep 20GB on my mp3 player.

Back
Top Bottom