I'm desperate....

Have you looked through all your motherboard documentation to see if you didn't miss a jumper or something? What motherboard and CPU do you have?

OK, before I jump in to help, I gotta ask you to shorten your sig. The rules only allow for five lines. You can add most of those specs into a few lines and your all good.

Ok, now for the helpful part. I'm not sure if you have everything in the case or not, but if you do, take it all out. Put the motherboard on the anti-stactic bag it came in to protect it, and to make sure it doesn't short out on anything below it

With ONLY the processor, RAM (one stick), Video card if the comptuer does not have on-board video, mouse and keyboard plugged in, connect power, and short the power jumpers on the motherboard with a screwdriver, or my favorite a pocket knife. If everything works here, then all the main things are working proporly. If the keyboard still does not work, try a different one.

If this works, slowly add One device at a time to the mix (optical drive, hard drive, second RAM stick, what ever) and keep adding devices until things don't work. If you do run into something that doesn't work, throw it on a "Bad" pile and continue to add devices on at a time untill everything has been tested.

At this point if you have tested everything, you know what is bad and what is not so you can put everything good into the case, screw it down, then fire the comptuer up again to make sure it still works.

Now, if that original setup doesn't work, start with a different RAM stick. If new RAM still does not work, try the same sticks (one at a time) in different RAM slots on the motherboard.

If you are still having problems try a new video card. I doubt that's the issue, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen something like that do it. If the video card is a no go, take out the CMOS battery, and take it to a watch store or hardware store and get a new one. they are maybe $10. While we would all love to think that CMOS batteries are new, by all means they could have been sitting in the warehouse for a year to two before they were put into your board. (if either of these last two paragraphs helped, then go back up and add parts one at a time as described above and ignore the rest of this)

If all this does not work, odds are you have a bad motherboard. Throw on a USB keyboard if you have the option as one last test in the hopes that you just have a bad PS2 port.

OK, before I jump in to help, I gotta ask you to shorten your sig. The rules only allow for five lines. You can add most of those specs into a few lines and your all good.

Ok, now for the helpful part. I'm not sure if you have everything in the case or not, but if you do, take it all out. Put the motherboard on the anti-stactic bag it came in to protect it, and to make sure it doesn't short out on anything below it

With ONLY the processor, RAM (one stick), Video card if the comptuer does not have on-board video, mouse and keyboard plugged in, connect power, and short the power jumpers on the motherboard with a screwdriver, or my favorite a pocket knife. If everything works here, then all the main things are working proporly. If the keyboard still does not work, try a different one.

If this works, slowly add One device at a time to the mix (optical drive, hard drive, second RAM stick, what ever) and keep adding devices until things don't work. If you do run into something that doesn't work, throw it on a "Bad" pile and continue to add devices on at a time untill everything has been tested.

At this point if you have tested everything, you know what is bad and what is not so you can put everything good into the case, screw it down, then fire the comptuer up again to make sure it still works.

Now, if that original setup doesn't work, start with a different RAM stick. If new RAM still does not work, try the same sticks (one at a time) in different RAM slots on the motherboard.

If you are still having problems try a new video card. I doubt that's the issue, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen something like that do it. If the video card is a no go, take out the CMOS battery, and take it to a watch store or hardware store and get a new one. they are maybe $10. While we would all love to think that CMOS batteries are new, by all means they could have been sitting in the warehouse for a year to two before they were put into your board. (if either of these last two paragraphs helped, then go back up and add parts one at a time as described above and ignore the rest of this)

If all this does not work, odds are you have a bad motherboard. Throw on a USB keyboard if you have the option as one last test in the hopes that you just have a bad PS2 port.

Thank you! Doing this has worked so far and I've been able to get to the CMOS setup and the keyboard worked the whole time(PS/2) but now I don't know what to do from there. After I click on save and exit, it goes to a black screen with the little blinking cursor at the top left of the screen but doesn't say or do anything....

Probably because there is no boot device (Assuming you have no CD in the CD drive if it's installed, or no OS on the Hard drive if it's installed). It should eventually do something, be it saying something like "No System Disk", "Operating System Not Found", or boot into something.

So in the CMOS thing, should I set a boot device? Make the DVD Rom the first boot device or that hard drive?

It's really up to you. If the hard drive is bland, It will look right over it and onto the next thing in the boot lineup. I just tend to keep that at default and let it do what it wants when it comes to the boot order.

Well I went into the CMOS and the "Boot Priority" and the first boot item was labeled "Removable" which I have no idea what that was but I put the DVDROM as first and then the HDD second and the "Removable" third and now windows is installing and partitioning right now. Thank you so much for you help!

Oh and P.S. I've only got the 1 stick of RAM (1GB) installed right now while it's installing and setting up and I still have a second 1GB stick so what do I do to get that installed as well after all of the other stuff is done? Just plug it right into the board and restart the computer?

Back
Top Bottom