Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
b.v.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Question I'm building a new computer out of a...

I'm going to build a new fast awsome computer with an awsome os on it. And I got the frame from a windows 98 computer that my aunt gave me. I'm going to put a new video card in the computer. But with two outlets on it. That way I can have two screens. I'm going to put 1gb of ram in there. And put a new OS on the computer. But I don't know what OS to pick. I need your advice. Oh yah!! I'm also going to get a new harddrive on the computer. Here are all the links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820153101

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144102

But I just don't know what OS to use. Please help me???
__________________

b.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

how fast is your computer what are its specs, tell us some things so we know, use this to find out your specs just download it and run it, no install no nothing http://www.cpuid.com/;)
__________________

Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
CompMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,323
Send a message via AIM to CompMan
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.v.b View Post
I'm going to build a new fast awsome computer with an awsome os on it. And I got the frame from a windows 98 computer that my aunt gave me. I'm going to put a new video card in the computer. But with two outlets on it. That way I can have two screens. I'm going to put 1gb of ram in there. And put a new OS on the computer. But I don't know what OS to pick. I need your advice. Oh yah!! I'm also going to get a new harddrive on the computer. Here are all the links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820153101

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144102

But I just don't know what OS to use. Please help me???
I wouldn't call thats a fast computer....

as for OS I would say XP. Depends on what processor and video card you have.
__________________
|Intel Q6600@3.0ghz||ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA||2GiG Corsair XM2 DDR2 800||EvGa 8800GTS||36gig Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm||Ultra X2 connect 550W modular psu||Thermaltake Tsunami Case|Vista 64bit|
Windows has Blue screens, Mac has grey screens, and CF has White screens!!
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT Titanium Grey, Greddy Exhaust, AEM cold air intake
--objects in rearview get smaller with each shift--
CompMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
NEED WOW NOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,315
Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Thats know where near a fast computer!

SDRAM is worse than DDR Ram!
80GB Hard Drive won't last anyone very long.
That Power Supply is not very known for its "Quality"

Any computer running windows 98 would be out of date!

For you, get a good 600-700 Dollars and build from scratch!
__________________
AMD is Happy!
Intel is Pissed!
Europe is $1.45 Billion Dollar's Richer!
NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
b.v.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delux View Post
how fast is your computer what are its specs, tell us some things so we know, use this to find out your specs just download it and run it, no install no nothing http://www.cpuid.com/;)
I can't download anything on the computer, the computer doesn't really work. The os is gone, and all it is, is a cammand prompt.
b.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
b.v.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED WOW NOW View Post
Thats know where near a fast computer!

SDRAM is worse than DDR Ram!
80GB Hard Drive won't last anyone very long.
That Power Supply is not very known for its "Quality"

Any computer running windows 98 would be out of date!

For you, get a good 600-700 Dollars and build from scratch!
I never said it was going to be the fastest computer on earth. I said I'm going to make it faster. And the mother board can't handle to much harddrive memory. So I'm just building it to make it better than it was.
b.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
Delux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 296
Send a message via MSN to Delux
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.v.b View Post
I can't download anything on the computer, the computer doesn't really work. The os is gone, and all it is, is a cammand prompt.
well it probably is a computer for windows xp if its using pc-133 sdram, try out windows xp and let us know whats up or, put windows 98 back on and see the specs
Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
_-..zKiLLA..-_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,952
Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.v.b View Post
I'm going to build a new fast awsome computer with an awsome os on it
LOL! thats too good.
__________________
My beast lappy: Acer netbook, 1.6ghz atom dual core, 2gb ddr3
My PSN: Kalikid_420
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
In Runtime
 
b.v.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delux View Post
well it probably is a computer for windows xp if its using pc-133 sdram, try out windows xp and let us know whats up or, put windows 98 back on and see the specs
Well, acually, I changed my mind. I'm going to get a new motherboard. But I need someones advice on this because I have never gotten a motherboard. I was thinking this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=P459-1226

and instead of the other sdram, I was going to use this ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141429


So, tell me what you think. Oh, do you think I should get a better harddrive?
b.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
b.v.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 112
Default Re: I'm building a new computer out of a...

Ohh, also I thought I should get this harddrive tell me if you think it's a good harddrive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144176

Is it a good harddrive or not please tell me?
__________________

b.v.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0