Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default If you know your stuff id like to know...

Is this a good rig?

Asus Essentio CM1630-03 \ - AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.9Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium

with a N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5OC GeForce GTX 460 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual-DVI, mini-HDMI, SLI-Ready, DirectX 11

Im new at this so let me know if this is good, and a generalization of what types of games i could play.

Joe4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: If you know your stuff id like to know...

with only listing those two items, It's probably going to run most games at decent settings.

detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Beta Member

what else should i list? thats the processor, RAM, hard drive, and video card. Idk what else is important. :/
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
In Runtime

You listed pretty much everything. I think the person who replied basically quickly read your post, and read the first item in both paragraphs (thinking the stuff after it was just the specs of the first thing mentioned)

You COULD of put a bit more info in, (I.E. the type and timings of your DDR3 RAM, type / specs (RPM etc) of your HDD, how old the system is etc) but thats enough to say that the rig is fairly decent.

The processor is by far 'top end' in todays market, and is probably more 'low cost setup' than 'gaming beast' if im being honest. It does perform pretty well though, very quick scout on google says its roughly on par (slightly lower though) than an i3 processor. Being only dual core, might be a disadvantage, and I think its allready overclocked, so you probably wouldnt be able to improve performance that way. Video card is good enough for the job. You should be able to play most games (not the really intensive ones) at mid settings decently, or low settings well. The higher end games would have to be on low settings to get any gameplay. Depends what games you are playing though?

I think your board will probably support both AM2 and AM3 processors (I havent checked this though) if it does, could consider putting a newer generation AM3 chip in there, one of the Phenom range, for way better performance.
Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

your right, my bad.. It was late.
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Key question here: How much is it?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
In Runtime

^^^^^^ Agreed.

I honestly read / interpretted his post to say that he already had / had acquired the rig.

If he hasnt then obviously this would underpin the whole reasons behind the arguement.
Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Beta Member

With that and a mouse, keyboard, and 23 inch 1080p monitor, it came to 800. I wanted a Nividia Gtx 580 cause it seems like thats the best out there from my short research, but it was too much for me right now being jobless and shit.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

The only thing I would change in that setup is the CPU, but even then it depends on what games you play. Everyone's all gung ho about getting a quad CPU or better, but the simple fact is that there are still games out there, even new ones, that have a hard time with more than two cores. They're quickly disappearing however, so take that however you'd like.

I'd do at least an Athlon II X4, from 2.6 GHz up to 3.0 if you can wing it - $105 for the 3.0 Athlon II X4 is cake usually. There's also no definitive proof that the Phenom II and the Athlon II should be compared against each other - that is to say, the Phenom II with L3 cache is just a money sink when compared to the Athlon II in most cases - they're the same CPU, it's just the Athlon II doesn't have the L3 cache enabled.

The rest of the stats, I do believe you're fine with. Just make sure the Power supply (PSU) isn't cheap, and the motherboard is a name brand or fully supported by who you're buying the system from.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote