If I replace my mobo, what else do I need to replace

Rippy087

Baseband Member
Basically title says it all, my computer is about 4 years old, and I need a new graphics card but I dont wanna be stuck with AGP so I wanna upgrade my mobo. If I replace my Mobo, do I need to replace my processor and RAM also? Someone told that I would need to, just making sure, cuz I guess upgrading won't be worth it and I might as well just build a new system. I need it to last me at least 4 years.

Thanks,
Jake

Depends on the motherboard you get

Chances are though, you're going to have to change something...

If your ram is DDR, it's possible you could use it in your new system, assuming you don't get a motherboard supporting DDR2

You'll probably need a new processor. As the new motherboard socket for the processor will differ

Support for drives, IDE and SATA are pretty standard now so you should be okay with your drives.

It's possible you might need a new case and power supply fitting your motherboard.

processor will most likely need a definite change, in order to correspond with the socket type of your motherboard. change in RAM may or may not be an issue, it's all based on preference. depending on what type of case you are using right now you might need a change ex. if you're using a mATX case right now, and you want an ATX board, you'll need to by an ATX mid or full tower. Hard drives you can use the same ones, same as cd drives. power supply MAY be an issue depending on what new videocard you choose and what wattage ur psu is at right now.

processor will most likely need a definite change, in order to correspond with the socket type of your motherboard. change in RAM may or may not be an issue, it's all based on preference. depending on what type of case you are using right now you might need a change ex. if you're using a mATX case right now, and you want an ATX board, you'll need to by an ATX mid or full tower. Hard drives you can use the same ones, same as cd drives. power supply MAY be an issue depending on what new videocard you choose and what wattage ur psu is at right now.

Chances are EXTERMELY, and I SAY EXTERMELY HIGH WITH CONFINDENCE that you will not have an issue with the case. We need your specs of your PC to however tell you for sure, as well as the next mobo you which to buy. Then we can tell you for 100% certainy on what you will need. Or we could suggest somthing if you aren't sure.

As of right now all the posts above, are merely throwing wild guesses at what you will need, and what you wont' neeed. I was considering doing a mobo switch myself just for my current system before the AMD price drop news came in. I would of needed nothing more then the mobo it self, everything else was fully comptiable with the new MOBO I was going purschae. If you get the right one you may not need anything at all.

Rippy087 said:
Basically title says it all, my computer is about 4 years old, and I need a new graphics card but I dont wanna be stuck with AGP so I wanna upgrade my mobo. If I replace my Mobo, do I need to replace my processor and RAM also? Someone told that I would need to, just making sure, cuz I guess upgrading won't be worth it and I might as well just build a new system. I need it to last me at least 4 years.

Thanks,
Jake

Judging by what you said in the above statement, here's what I feel you may end up replacing:

Graphics card (to PCI-express)
CPU
RAM

Ram costs like, 100-150 bucks, processor costs another 200. 50 for a cheap mb. That's 400 bucks there. then the graphics. If you're not that heavy of a gamer or anything like that, and just use your PC for gaming here and there, web browsing, ect. I'd just recomend getting a pre-built computer, which would cost around $400, and likely be better then your current 4 year old system for the same price.. Really all depends on what you currently have and what you want to get.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I built this computer myself and I use it mainly for gaming, so I'm def not going back to prebuilt.

Mother Board: Prescott 800 dual CHannel ASRock DDR400
Processor: Intell Pentium 4, somewhere between 2.8g and 3.2g, not sure since i got it replaced at a shop a few years ago.
Power Source: Antec True 430w
Monitor: NEC Multisync LCD1525V (14.5inches?)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128M

I'm not completely sure what the processor is, I fried my mobo and processor like two years ago and got them replaced at a shop, I can't even remember what they put in.

Joxley1990, don't know what you mean by socket type, tell me what to look for and I'll find it. Since I built this computer I forgot the details, or if you can tell what it is by lookin at the mobo I have.

Thanks a lot guys,
Jake

motherboards are divided into socket types. each socket type accepts processors with different pin arrangements. if you want to continue using that pentium 4, you will have to find a motherboard that supports the socket type of that cpu. if you want a new processor you have to be wary of the fact that the motherboard must correspond with the pins.

Back
Top Bottom