Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

Basically if i bought a better cpu and motherboard then i have in now at the moment what will it enhance on my pc? will it make games run smoother? desktop smoother? what please
__________________

watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

depends on what cpu you have now and what cpu you are going to buy . also a computers usefull life can be extended by adding more ram and a new video card if you want to game

take into account when buying a new mobo will your current ram and vid card still be supported

for instance if you have a single core amd athlon and you upgrade to a cre duo then you will notice the increase in games
__________________

__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379
depends on what cpu you have now and what cpu you are going to buy . also a computers usefull life can be extended by adding more ram and a new video card if you want to game

take into account when buying a new mobo will your current ram and vid card still be supported

for instance if you have a single core amd athlon and you upgrade to a cre duo then you will notice the increase in games

this is my current cpu: Processor : Intel Pentium 4 650 @ 3400 MHz


What cpu when im buying would i ntoice a big difference ingames please?
Also my motherboard is only a 20pound one will this be lacking my games too?
watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

the mobo could be a majour problem cos it is pretty cheap and it wont support ddr2 ram or anything like this , probably only has an agp slot

a good processor would be a intel core duo e6600 would be a good upgrade .

i would gor for an e6600 with at least 1gb ram and a 7900 vid card
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379
the mobo could be a majour problem cos it is pretty cheap and it wont support ddr2 ram or anything like this , probably only has an agp slot

a good processor would be a intel core duo e6600 would be a good upgrade .

i would gor for an e6600 with at least 1gb ram and a 7900 vid card



suprisingly my mobo does support ddr2 "Supprisingly" i have 2gb ddr2 ram 4slots of it and a 7600GT 256 mb gfx but i just want something to add to my machine which will DEFFINATLY make it play better?

Would a 8800 make it run smoother?
watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

omg you paid 20 pound for a mobo that supports ddr2 and has pci express .

anyways how much ram you got there then .
also i wouldnt suggest buying an 8800 just yet as they are very overpriced
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379
omg you paid 20 pound for a mobo that supports ddr2 and has pci express .

anyways how much ram you got there then .
also i wouldnt suggest buying an 8800 just yet as they are very overpriced

I have 4 sticks at 512 each
watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

do 2 gig total is that right , if so that is plenty enough

anyway what game you playing , and what is the problem ,
i would get a better vid card like a 7900gt
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379
do 2 gig total is that right , if so that is plenty enough

anyway what game you playing , and what is the problem ,
i would get a better vid card like a 7900gt

I play games like Css,Battlefield 2 etc i mean Css i get average ingame at lease 100fps so it can't be my gfx its just a annoying lagg im not sure how to explain it thougth


Also over past couple of days my cpu temperature has risen to nearing 60oc on minimum load but thats another question :P

But the lagg has been there before the temp


Also what about a sli motherboard and get another 7600GT? how much of a performance increase we talking about


thanks for your current help
watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Default Re: If I bought a new CPU + Mobo

SYSTEM SPEC:

Mainboard : MSI MS-7091
Chipset : Intel i915P
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 650 @ 3400 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (4 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 7600 GT
Hard Disk : ST3360832AS (360 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DW-Q30A
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
DVD-Rom Drive : QO5374L WQM952L SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : LG Electronics M1917A - 19 inchs
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)
__________________

watling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0