IE8 Beta 1

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/Install.htm

Install Internet Explorer 8
Internet Explorer 8 can be installed on Microsoft Windows Vista® Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista, Windows XP® Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Server® 2008 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2). Downloads are available from the following locations:

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 for Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 for Window XP SP2
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 for Windows Server 2003 SP2
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 for Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64 Edition and Windows XP SP2 Pro x64 Edition

New and exciting features
Here are some end-user features you can expect to see in Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1.
On this page:
Activities
WebSlices
Favorites Bar
Automatic Crash Recovery
Improved Phishing Filter

Activities
Activities are contextual services to quickly access a service from any webpage. Users typically copy and paste from one webpage to another. Internet Explorer 8 Activities make this common pattern easier to do.
Activities typically involve two types of scenarios: "look up" information within a webpage or "send" web content to a web application. For example, a user is interested in a restaurant and wants to see the location of it. This is the form of a "look up" Activity where the user selects the address and views an in-place view of the map using his favorite map service.
ScreenActivities.png

An example of a "send" Activity is a user reads an interesting article and wants to blog about a portion of the article. The user can select a portion of the article and uses the blog Activity. This navigates to the user's blog site with the selection already available in the edit field.
Activities are services that the user can install and manage. Users can install them from the Internet Explorer 8 Service Guide or through any website that advertises Activities.

WebSlices
WebSlices is a new feature for websites to connect to their users by subscribing to content directly within a webpage. WebSlices behave just like feeds where clients can subscribe to get updates and notify the user of changes.
ScreenWebSlicePreview2.png

Internet Explorer 8 Users can discover WebSlices within a webpage and add them to the Favorites bar, a dedicated row below the Address bar for easy access to links. Internet Explorer 8 subscribes to the webpage, detects changes in the WebSlice, and notifies the user of updates. Users can preview these updates directly from the Favorites bar and click-through to the website to get more information.

Favorites Bar
In Internet Explorer 7, the Links bar provided users with one-click access to their favorite sites. The Links bar has undergone a complete makeover for Internet Explorer 8. It has been renamed the Favorites bar to enable users to associate this bar as a place to put and easily access all their favorite web content such as links, feeds, WebSlices and even Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
ScreenFavoritesBar.png

A user can easily add a link to the Favorites bar by using the Add to Favorites button and selecting the Add to Favorites Bar option.

Automatic Crash Recovery
Automatic Crash Recovery (ACR) is a feature of Windows®Internet Explorer® 8 that can help to prevent the loss of work and productivity in the unlikely event of the browser crashing or hanging. The ACR feature takes advantage of the Loosely-Coupled Internet Explorer feature to provide new crash recovery capabilities, such as tab recovery, which will minimize interruptions to users' browsing sessions.
ScreenCrashRecovery.png

See Automatic Crash Recovery white paper for more information.

Improved Phishing Filter
Internet Explorer 7 introduced the Phishing Filter, a feature which helps warn users when they visit a Phishing site. Phishing sites spoof a trusted legitimate site, with the goal of stealing the user's personal or financial information. For Internet Explorer 8, we are building on the success of the Phishing Filter with a more comprehensive feature called the "Safety Filter."
ScreenSafetyFilter.png

The Safety Filter continues to block known Phishing sites and now blocks sites known to contain malicious software that could harm users' computer or steal their information. Beyond this improved protection, the Safety Filter operates more quickly than ever before to ensure that users can browse both safely and quickly.
For IT administrators, new Group Policy options are available to remove the user-override option and fully block access to known unsafe sites.
============================================================================

I haven't tried this yet, but I will later on in the day. I heard from places its full of little bugs, and I also read that its a lot better than IE7.

I've used it for not even two minutes at home, before I had to leave at school. It's not really different from IE7, but it at least does has it's own set of features compared to it. It looks rather useable in a certain way.

Well, after IE7, a lot has been improved compared to IE6 and older, and I do mean a lot.

Yeah, it has improved from 6. 8 doesn't look much different though, I think I'm just going to like the crash recovery feature it has. It seems to be a problem sometimes that I hate.

first i heard about this. looks interesting i guess. nice to know microsoft arnt sat on their a$$es doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom