IE7 just saved my computer from a website attack

serpentracer

In Runtime
thank you Microsoft IE7 for the installation of software blocking. I visited a website that came up in a search I did, and it went right to a few pop ups telling me my computer is infected bla bla bla, my heart sank as I figured it would be all messed up from this point as I frantically started clicking the X's closing the pop ups.
then I got the yellow bar of salvation telling me it blocked the site from installing stuff.

I closed IE and ran System defender and it found nothing.
so far everything seems AOK.

now what to do about that website? can one report it or something? it's def one of those sites that ruins peoples lives. LOL.

you can report it at mcafee siteadvisor website. Many people use siteadvisor and they will surely be warned abt it.

well it's been 4 days since I reported that site to Mcafee and they still have not reported their findings.

not very interested in it I guess. doesn't seem like anyone takes this stuff seriously. since McAfee seems like the only website dedicated to looking into these things.

ignoring it will just let it keep spreading.

Firefox would do the same thing, it's nothing special . . . . .

Now the real question is, what on earth were you looking up?

I looked up something to help a friend with her essay for uni, and got a virus prompt on the first site I clicked on (Which AVG said was safe), to download antivirus software, which of course was a virus itself.

Usually though, the X to close the pop up's are part of the software too, and aren't infact a real Windows close button.
Its usually best to Alt-F4 them.

Firefox would do the same thing, it's nothing special . . . . .

Now the real question is, what on earth were you looking up?

trying to find some stock rims for my truck. you know how there is a description like stuff under the links etc? it said it was a link to rims off a certain vehicle and crap.
when I clicked on it about 5 pop ups showed up all of them saying something like, Attention your computer is infected with spy ware etc click here to clean your hard drive bla bla bla. and the actual page was acting like it was scanning my registry etc. and then the browser blocked it from downloading files to my computer.

before IE7 or firefox, I would have been screwed.

I looked up something to help a friend with her essay for uni, and got a virus prompt on the first site I clicked on (Which AVG said was safe), to download antivirus software, which of course was a virus itself.

Usually though, the X to close the pop up's are part of the software too, and aren't infact a real Windows close button.
Its usually best to Alt-F4 them.

that's basically what happened to me. it was a fake description etc of the site.

I've been reading that sites like google and yahoo etc have been trying to stop or slow this kind of activity.

Back
Top Bottom