IE v FireFox

rakedog said:
Duh, that's why I love open source..I hate it when someone forces me choose something. In this case it's M$.
redhat forced me to upgrade to fedora after they cut all support and updates for version 8 and 9 this year, not even releasing critical patches...

M$ arn't the only people who try to force the hand of other people.

root said:
redhat forced me to upgrade to fedora after they cut all support and updates for version 8 and 9 this year, not even releasing critical patches...

M$ arn't the only people who try to force the hand of other people.

in this case, redhat is forcing you to upgrade (most likely to a better version). in the other case, microsoft is forcing you to use their own web browser. you are kind of comparing apples to oranges.

you would be able to use firefox for windows update *IF* it would support active X (even if it was just for this one site)...

microsoft don't force yuou to keep using their browser, firefox force you to use another bnrowser (for important jobs such as upgrading) due to their unwilling to support a standard web tool.

(and before anyone says anything about activeX vulnerabilties, I have a firewall/proxy at work which removes activeX from pages, I can allow it for certain sites/users, it wouldn't be hard for the browser to onlydisplay safe content, or only enable activeX for one part of the site.)

And no windows update couldn't use anything but activeX, because it has to run client side (actally on the machine) (so server languages are out of the question) as Javascripts are no good as they create a virtual machine.

Standard web tool = windows update? That would be true, except for the fact that microsoft doesn't control the web.

If you get the activex plugin for firefox it would probaly work, but who would want to tarnish a browser as good as firefox with m$$'s crappy activex which is garanteed to give you living hell with spyware and all sorts of other nasty stuff

Back
Top Bottom