Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4
Question IE timing out?

Ok, so I know AOL is close to the devil but my wife likes it so save the editorial comment please. I can log on & surf at will no problem for about 5-10 minutes then nothing... "page cannot be displayed"... (HP Pavillion 800?[not at home right now] XP is updated, my IE is current, Spybot comes back as clean as it needs to be and I am running aol 9.0) This all started when I upgraded aol. I've been through all possible fixes to AOL (according to them) and am at my wits end. I'm ready to dump it all & re-install the whole mother....
Any ideas? thanks.
__________________

Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: IE timing out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
Ok, so I know AOL is close to the devil but my wife likes it so save the editorial comment please. I can log on & surf at will no problem for about 5-10 minutes then nothing... "page cannot be displayed"... (HP Pavillion 800?[not at home right now] XP is updated, my IE is current, Spybot comes back as clean as it needs to be and I am running aol 9.0) This all started when I upgraded aol. I've been through all possible fixes to AOL (according to them) and am at my wits end. I'm ready to dump it all & re-install the whole mother....
Any ideas? thanks.
Lol - I shall save you the Anti-AOL Jagger; although you were wrong about it - it is lower than the Devil; he uses Netscape and fears AOL. I know the type - my Older Sister likes AOL too.

Lol - for AOL you could have ended that sentance. I know you can only load up with AOL Screen - but after 5 to 10 minutes have you tried Internet Explorer on the connection? That would see whether its the connection. It is probably the software; but perhaps then if you can use it and your wife can't use AOL then she'll give up and go with a proper Service Provider?
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: IE timing out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
Ok, so I know AOL is close to the devil but my wife likes it so save the editorial comment please. I can log on & surf at will no problem for about 5-10 minutes then nothing... "page cannot be displayed"... (HP Pavillion 800?[not at home right now] XP is updated, my IE is current, Spybot comes back as clean as it needs to be and I am running aol 9.0) This all started when I upgraded aol. I've been through all possible fixes to AOL (according to them) and am at my wits end. I'm ready to dump it all & re-install the whole mother....
Any ideas? thanks.
Yes Get Cable or anything but A***OL*.confussion.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Lol, somebody said on here once when we were talking about AOL coming out with its System Virus Checker that when you scan the system it finds 2,000 'Terrible' Viruses and its answer is:

Quote:
You have a Bad program on your computer codenamed 'AOL'. We recommend you uninstall this program as soon as possible and get a real Internet Provider.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Beta Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4
Default Re: IE timing out?

so much for withholding editorial comment ok... yes I have tried IE, I always go there immediately after logging on thru aol. same story 5-10 minutes then nothing. and I have cable. I've "repaired" it by doing a system restore, removing all aol programs & installing the old 7.0 version. works fine, gets me straight on & to IE no problem. Thanks for the "advice"
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #6
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: IE timing out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
so much for withholding editorial comment ok... yes I have tried IE, I always go there immediately after logging on thru aol. same story 5-10 minutes then nothing. and I have cable. I've "repaired" it by doing a system restore, removing all aol programs & installing the old 7.0 version. works fine, gets me straight on & to IE no problem. Thanks for the "advice"
So AOL isn't your server,Thank God.
Try this then,don't log on to AHole,Just use IExplore and enjoy the internet.Why are you so obsessed with AOL ?
MSN isn't much better.They control you.You should see that by now.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Beta Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4
Default

No... AOL (the SOB's) is my ISP but I just jump to IE as soon as I log on.... man I love acronyms! Wish I could just click the little "e" & get on but it's not that easy. Anyhoo, I'm running...for now! The T1 at work is much nicer but not quite as fast as my home cable since there are umpteen users on our network, but it always works!
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:09 PM   #8
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Yeah; its still annoying. Glad to know you got it working though! Even if we didn't help.

I once tried AOL - on a 3 month Free Trial (they have to do that or otherwise nobody will use it!) and after 1 week I could not put up with it! Seriously! I shouted down the phone to them for half an hour about howmuch they annoy me and how I want them to tell me their telephone number so I can just log on normally. They said I could - so with some choice words I cancelled and paid 9 a month for Freeserve (or Wanadoo as it now is) instead of nothing for AOL! Not a good sign!
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #9
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: IE timing out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
No... AOL (the SOB's) is my ISP but I just jump to IE as soon as I log on.... man I love acronyms! Wish I could just click the little "e" & get on but it's not that easy. Anyhoo, I'm running...for now! The T1 at work is much nicer but not quite as fast as my home cable since there are umpteen users on our network, but it always works!
I have home cable TV. + I have
home High Speed Internet.Same server.
Doesn't your TV cable server also have Inet service ?
Check this out AOL sucks big time.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: IE timing out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
I have home cable TV. + I have
home High Speed Internet.Same server.
Doesn't your TV cable server also have Inet service ?
Check this out AOL sucks big time.
Wow, sneaky Canadians, they don't do Cable TV where I live at all! And I doubt the companies in Cities do Internet too. What speed can you get on Cable then?
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0