IE 8 Crashing

BASHERS33

Solid State Member
I don't know whether I need to uninstall and re-install IE 8 or if this happens in all instances of it or what.

When I type a url in the address bar it ALWAYS yes always crashes on the second character of the address if it's not a site in my history or favorites. If it is in those it will work, but otherwise it crashes every single time on the second character (in other words if the second character does not match anything stored it crashes).

I thought of deleting my history and see if it somehow fixes it, but then if it doesn't then it would be that many fewer sites which I could get to in the address bar.

I narrowed this down to what's doing it. It only does it in 800 by 600 resolution. Microsft always claims they are trying to make things accessible for people with disabilities, so they better care enough to fix this despite it being lower resolution than is standard.

Basically what it does is it isn't even ACCESSING all of the history and then it crashes on the second character. I can type in "w" and it show no results, yet in file->open or in higher resolutions it has TONS of sites that start with w and it won't crash even if it doesn't have any.

Also the "manage addons" section is 100% UNUSABLE and it's not based on resolution in that case. It must be another setting such as text size or something because it has a horizontal scrollbar with now ay to see what's in the box. So I can't select anything and manage the addons!

Thus I have a default search provider I don't want since I can't switch it to the one I want!

I have no clue how to report this to MS and them actually have the right people see it. They have links to email their support yet when I go there it doesn't have an email link or form.

All Internet Explorers are extremely buggy and slow.

i wouls reccomend using a new browser such as Mozilla Firefox or google chrome

Another helpful post by Holysky. :rolleyes:

Instead of saying stuff like "IE sucks, use a different browser", how about actually helping him find a working solution for the current problem?

I don't like firefox. Also IE 8 is far from slow. Most people say IE 8 is faster than FF.

Regardless, I ened to find out how to get MS to know about this. I do keep error reporting, but that has never seemed to lead to any fixes in the past so I need to figure out how to directly tell them.

My only option at this point is to use file->open, increase my resolution and then use magnification of about 125% to make it offset the resolution to increase text size again, go back to IE7 (which I am not doing since IE 8 is noticable faster on a slow type of site I go to),

And as far as managing addons I guess I have to keep all addons set however they already are, as I can't find another way to manage them from some other screen. I don't even know what setting is causing them not to display and if I mess with any of my settings it can screw up ALL settings for my desktop so I hate to go changing things to try to get them to display properly.

Another helpful post by Holysky. :rolleyes:

Instead of saying stuff like "IE sucks, use a different browser", how about actually helping him find a working solution for the current problem?

Lol, prepare for many more replies like that.

I would recommend a reinstall. If that doesn't work it kind of sounds like IE8 is searching for the typed address in your favorites/history and crashing because of that. Are there settings where you can turn this type of thing off?

Well I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it had the same problem. Just in case, I then used system restore and it gave me an internet explorer 7 with no tool bars except the address bar so there was nothing I coulc click to get the toolbars to show! So I then undid my restore and am still stuck with the same issues I already had.

Also it's weird that even whether in compatibility mode or not... IE 8 is handling fonts strangely. Some fonts are bigger and some are smaller than in IE7 so it's hard to do a setting that has it use the fonts I want throughout the sites.

I would switch to IE7 ans stick with it, but my forum software's company's new version (Ipb, in beta) is extremely slow in IE 7 and is quite fast in IE 8.

So pretty much it comes down to having this bug and some fonts smaller than I want or have them how they always were at the expense of speed.

Back
Top Bottom