Ideas needed

Pidge14

In Runtime
So this year at school i became the assistant computer tech at my school. And since then everyone comes to me for computer advice and what not instead of dealing with techs at stores who sometimes try to sell you stuff you don't want or waiting on the phone for hours. So i've created this thread to compile information, tools, and software to use when i am asked for assistance.

1) I put installation files on my flash drive in case someone would need to use them such as (Avg Free, Ccleaner, speedfan, ad aware se personal, and spybot search and destroy.)

Other than those what are some software that i can obtain freely from the internet that can be useful when i'm helping others?

2) What are some tools i should have in a small tool box when physical work needs to be done?

More will be added when i think of more.

Thanks for taking time in reading and discussing your ideas.

for the tools you obviously want a couple of small phillips screw drivers and always keep a small flat head aswell

umm you always want an anti static strap and i have a neat screw cather thing it uses air and acts like a mini hoover incase your drop screws in an awkward place and cnt get to them and grab a pair of long nose plysers aswell

im pretty sure thats the very very basics that you need i rarely have to use n e thing more than that

in terms of an extra software tool you might want to download bart PE and make yourself a XP USB thumb drive or a XP 'live' cd always comes in handy

also get some a free registry cleaner aswell i know the people that make ccleaner make a registry 1 aswell so i dunno if u have the full package ?

For the software tools here's what I'd use.

1. AVG Free Edition- If they don't already have it installed, try running a scan on their PC.
2. Clamwin AV Portable Edition- If they don't have this installed scan with it, it's a decent scanner. It's also open source and updates are constantly released.
3. Adaware SE Personal- If they have spyware or adware this program will definitely catch it.
4. CCleaner- Good registry cleaner and junk file cleaner.

For your physical tools I'd get something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31722&CatId=1801

for software , everst , cpuz and pc wizard would also be good , the ammount of pc's you have to work on where people want upgrades but sont know the specs is astounding and so use them to find out specs

also usefull is the ultimatte boot cd, has hdd diagnostic tests for every hardrive make and loads of other stuf http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

also usefull is a live cd of some os i think slax is the one i use of dammsmall linux

as for other software , people have that one covered but you may wanna add prime 95 to test a systems stability

as for physical tools , i have a a screwdriver with a load of different interchangable bits , a pair of
060629095950s.jpg

like the ones on the bottom , i also carry a jar of spare screws and jumpers and some spare ide and sata cables spare netowrk cable dosent go amiss either , fuses for plugs also can be andy , spare usb cables for stufflike printers , all sstuff that you can carry at all times which would save stupid trips to get parts

you may also find carrying a dvd burner around usefull as youmay need to get data off a computer and i think slax linux supports dvd burning

Another thing you may wanna carry , a pricelist for your local comp shop , so you can make an estimate to the cost of parts there and then -they can either be on the interent or if you go in and explain you are runnign a small it repair business and are willing to come to them for parts if they bcan give you a pricelist they will give you one no probs

MOST IMPORTANT THING THO IS BUSINESS CARDS THEY WILL KEEP YOUR BUSINESS COMING

i always have a magnetic screwdriver set, and needlenose pliers that have wirestrippers on it.

for software, i would have some kind of virus, spyware, and adware program on hand. also a program that runs performance tests. and a password boot disc because people always somehow eff up their password and ask me if i can fix it and i have a password disc i cant remember where i downloaded it from though.

I'd also add CPU-Z or Everest to the previous softwares stated to find out their complete system information.

HIJACKTHIS!!! It's an essential tool. Check out hijackthis.de for the log analyzer as well.

hey snap i said cpu z and everest and hi jack this is another good one
another good softwarre would be firre fox cos once i had a problem with ie and so carrying ff helped out , infact see the whole portableapps range it ihas some goos stuff

also carry win zip or winrar for machines below xp that dont carry compressed fiel utility integrated

Back
Top Bottom