IDE and Sata not working together?

Nick73191

Beta member
Just recently I built a computer with all ew parts except for an old HD that I took out of my old computer. Well I just got a WD 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptor, and when I tried to get them both running it wouldnt detect my old HD.

Here are the specs for everthing:
Motherboard: Abit Fatal1y AN8
Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT NX66T
CPU: Newcastle AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Old HD: Western Digital 40gb 7200PRM
New HD: Western Digital 74gb 10,000RPM Raptor

The new HD uses Sata which is a direct connection to my Motherboard as well as the IDE. I checked the jumpers on the old one and it is set to Slave. I went into the CMOS and it wont detect the old one at all. Is this because IDE and SATA dont work together?

uhh no. i have a IDE back up drive(i use acronis) and i have a SATA normal drive. so the IDE wont be decteced that is it right? or is it the SATA that isnt detected. cuz if it is the SATA then i might be able to help u

WAIT u set the IDE as a slave? no. dont do that. change it to the master? do u have it slave cuz the master is taken up by the CD drive? if so ...nvr connect a cd drive and a hdd on the same cable. they dont work or they are really slow. my set up is i have one cable going to the hdd and it is a master. my cd is on a different ide cable and it is a master.

the main thing is that get ur ide one off of slave and onto master. and dont have ur cd drive connected to the same cable as ur hdd

No, the HDD is on it's own IDE channel. I had the jumpers set for master and the CD-Rom and DVD-RW are on thier IDE channel.

I think if I just re-format it it will work, but I pretty much gave up on it. Really just didnt want to lose the information on it, but it's all replacable. Thanks for all the help.

is your system up and running now? if it is and it's not detecting it try and scan for it manually in device manager. if it's not then get it working on the SATA then try and put the PATA(IDE one) in.

Back
Top Bottom