IDE and SATA Connection Help!

kevinscallan

Baseband Member
I am currently running a CDROM and DVDROM/RW Drive and they are IDE Interface and have got a Seagate Barracude SATA HDD.

I have connected the SATA HDD to SATA 1 for Master but was wondering about setting the jumper caps to Master or Slave on the Optical Drives.

I am using CDROM on Primary IDE Porst so i am guessing that this has to be set to Master.

I am using DVDROM/RW on Secondary IDE Port so i am guessing that this has to be set to Master too.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Any help is much appreciated.

i think the hard disk and cd drives are 2 diff things, i would put the top cd drive as master and the 2nd one the slave

SATA:

SATA1: master (windows)
SATA2 Slave
SATA3 Slave
SATA4 Slave

IDE/CD Drive:

CD Drive 1: Master
CD Drive 2: Slave

IDE/Harddisk:

Harddisk1: Master
Harddisk2: Slave

i dont no wot it would be if u had 3 or 4 cd drives in, if the 3rd one would be a master or a slave because its using a diff cable and connected into another connecter on the motherboard, if ya no wot i mean.

I know now i think ive just been helping you with more or less the same problem as me.

I have decided to use the Primary IDE Port for CD ROM & DVDRM/RW Drive

SATA 1 HDD: Operating System (Microsoft Windows XP)

IDE Primary Master: CD ROM Drive
IDE Primary Slave: DVDROM/RW Drive

If you were to use 3 or 4 CD Drives i would do it this way.

Primary IDE: CD Drive set to Master
CD Drive set to Slave

On the same IDE cable

Secondary IDE: CD Drive set to Master
CD Drive set to Slave

On the same IDE cable

SATA 1: HDD (Operating System)
SATA 2: Slave
SATA 3: Slave
SATA 4: Salve

kevinscallan said:
I am currently running a CDROM and DVDROM/RW Drive and they are IDE Interface and have got a Seagate Barracude SATA HDD.

I have connected the SATA HDD to SATA 1 for Master but was wondering about setting the jumper caps to Master or Slave on the Optical Drives.

I am using CDROM on Primary IDE Porst so i am guessing that this has to be set to Master.

I am using DVDROM/RW on Secondary IDE Port so i am guessing that this has to be set to Master too.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Any help is much appreciated.

There are no Master/Slave relation in SATA. You could plug the hard drive in either SATA port and it will work the same. DVD burner on Primary Master, CD ROM on Secondary Master.

Back
Top Bottom