IDE and Sata

hascet

Fully Optimized
I got this motherboard and was wondering if I could connect my Sata, and IDE hard drive at the same time?

Yes, you can. It has a single IDE port. Lol older motherboards use to have two--but now, seems like they all have at least a minimum of one now. They're starting to phase them out.

Ok thanks, thats the mobo I chose for my build I made a thread about earlier too...

The only reason why they have IDE is because of optical drives. I guess you could share one IDE lane with the hard drive and optical drive, but that's not recommended.

Ahhh, ya I just thought about that I forgot about my CD drive...I hop I can find a cable long enough to reach from the top of the case to the bottom...

Only thing about that setup is that I hate having my hard drive sharing a channel with anything else. It's bound to get a performance hit.

Well if you share two IDE hard drives it's not that bad. Combinations aren't good though.

o well the hard drive is just an extra 160 gig storage drive I have had since I got a dell that is small form factor and was wandering if I could reincorporate it into this new build I guess i'll just stick with the 40 gig sata...

It will work fine though if you do choose to use your older drive in there. I just wish DVD drives start using SATA. I want a HD DVD drive if available. It's bound to get popular once we start seeing a whole bunch of HD DVD medias.

Ya, also, I need another question answered and if I can get it answered here I won't have to start a new thread. I have this case and it has two usb's on the front, and was wondering how those are supported...is it a standard connector on the motherboard or something that won't be supported with my build?

Back
Top Bottom