ide and sata

convergecult

In Runtime
ok so i have an ide hard drive running windows. I know sata is faster ect...but i still find ide more stable and reliable but that is just me. anywho my mb has 4 sata 3gb plug ins. now can i use a sata as a back up drive or will the two formats conflict at start up?

for awhile I used a SATA and IDE drive at the same time and had no problem. I use the SATA drive for windows and I used the IDE drive for linux. I didn't have any conflicts. I would say as long as the drive you want windows on is set to boot first then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

ok cool i have windows on my ide...now the only problem i have now is that my sata hd that i got from new egg will not detect anymore(reason why i am useing ide) not sure if it is the drive or my sata ports)

ok, sata is damn reliable so i don't know where you're getting that idea from, and second, you're saying that your comp isn't recognizing your sata drive, well do you have your ide drive plugged in at the same time? If you do then that's the problem, when you mix ide and sata together and run them at the same time then you get problems becuase of the different interfaces, your comp will always go to the ide first and i think you can change that in your bios.

BigLu said:
...... If you do then that's the problem, when you mix ide and sata together and run them at the same time then you get problems becuase of the different interfaces, your comp will always go to the ide first and i think you can change that in your bios.
I doubt this is the problem at all, boot order is set in the bios, there is no such thing as "your comp will always go to the ide first" it boots from where you tell it to boot from. I currently run my pc as set out in my sig, no problems with mixing IDE and SATA.

@4thgradedropout, have your loaded the SATA Controller drivers for your m/board? Does the bios recognise the SATA drive without the IDE drive plugged in? You say it no longer recognises the SATA drive, so I presume it used to recognise it, is that correct? How many other drives do you have in your pc? You may need to set a new drive slot in the bios if the amount of slots there is full, probably the last slot is set to disabled, therefore it will not see the SATA drive.

wow deathstar, read my quote that you shot down, i said that you can change boot order in your bios, and was wondering if he had not checked that. Secondly, many people on this site have had problems with mixing sata and ide, so i'm glad that yours works properly but many people haven't had such luck.

Mate I didn't intentionally "shoot your post down" I just tried to explain that it contained errors, and if you read your post it says "your comp will always go to the ide first and i think you can change that in your bios." Nothing mentioned about checking it or how to check it ;)

I was reinforcing that by supplying extra information for the op so he could look into it further.

For me it wasn't hard to set up, I was running XP on the JB120, I connected the SATA drive, booted, checked bios to see it was recognised (it wasn't, enabled disk slot in bios so it was) went into XP > Disk Management > initialised the drive, rebooted, set Rom drive to first boot, run XP install on the SATA drive rebooted,(EDIT: Forgot to mention I set the SATA drive to first boot) deleted the partition on the JB120, recreated and formatted it then ran the Vista install from in XP.

It was so simple I find it hard to believe people have trouble with it. Maybe it is a m/board problem for them, I don't know as I have not seen any of the posts about it.

There was nothing against you personally in my post, if you took it personally I apologise. :)

i gotcha i gotcha no harm done, and i meant no harm as well, you caught me at a bad time (my ex was yelling at me for no reason, lol i thought by breaking up with her i would get away from all that) And yea it's usually a motherboard problem, specifically with the nforce 4 boards. But i'm sorry for being stupid, at that time i wish i had a baseball bat and a gigantic room full of glass things for me to break, that would have been nice.

You have my sympathy mate, my wife and I have been together for 26 year this October, I don't even want to ponder life without her. I hope you can get it sorted out amicably.

geesh i did want to start such a fight with this lol...but anyway yes my sata drive was detected for about 2 days i was playing oblivion on it, internet ect...... then one day i turned it on and bam boot falure. nothing had changed no settings were different or anything. and as far as me not liking sata it is just my opinion. the cords are flimsy and do not connect good ect....im just feel safer with ide

Back
Top Bottom