iBook G4 unable to connect to wireless network

foothead

Omnicide now.
Recently, I attempted to connect my iBook G4 to an Ad Hoc network, which I could not get to work properly. I tried to reconnect to my home network, and was greeted with 'cannot connect to the airport network XXXXXXX'. I rebooted and got the same thing. It also seems to have forgotten my network, because it keeps asking me if I want to join it. I have no idea if this is a hardware or software issue.

Here are all the steps I have tried: Reboot, Remove airport card, reboot, reinstall airport card, toggling airport on and off, deleting the keychain, using a separate router, removing security from the router, flashing router to DD-WRT.

A wired connection works fine.

The system detects the card just fine: here is the info from hardware profiler:

Code:
AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type:	AirPort Extreme
  Wireless Card Locale:	USA
  Wireless Card Firmware Version:	405.1 (3.90.34.0.p18)
  Current Wireless Network:	wireless network not available

I noticed that it has the firmware version listed; is it possible to flash the airport card to a newer firmware, and would this have any chance of helping?

What else can I do? I thought of bringing it in to the apple store and seeing if they could test a different airport card, but I highly doubt they have such an old piece of hardware just laying around. A reinstall is out of the question, as I don't have the CDs anymore, and the optical drive no longer works. Any help is appreciated.

This may sound crazy, but it's happened to me with several of my mobile devices (phone, PSP, etc.). Try going into your routers control panel, and change it so that it will only broadcast in B, or only in G, or only in N. My router was broadcasting in both B and G, and the second I changed it to only broadcast in G my phone started working with it, and if I change it to B my psp will work. I've no idea why, but it's worth a shot.

This may sound crazy, but it's happened to me with several of my mobile devices (phone, PSP, etc.). Try going into your routers control panel, and change it so that it will only broadcast in B, or only in G, or only in N. My router was broadcasting in both B and G, and the second I changed it to only broadcast in G my phone started working with it, and if I change it to B my psp will work. I've no idea why, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, but it actually decided to start working again. My mom had me come to her office to reinstall the OS on one of their computers, and I decided to test their router, which worked. It's working with my home network again as well. Strange...

Back
Top Bottom