IBM overclocks chip to 500GHz

What the heck?...

They must have produced a really good new processor then... none out now would withstand even close to that, near 0 or not.

Plus, this?...

If cooling a machine down to -268.5°C seems a trifle impractical, take heart from the boffins' other efforts, which saw the chip running at 350GHz at room temperature - rather better than the 2GHz commercial products for communications applications typically run at today.

What?...

They made there chip run at 350GHZ.... Becuase of the core type they made and the stuff its made out of it.. and You know IBM there always makes crazy stuff. First 30 dual core cpus now this :D

The feat was part of the team's exploration of fourth-generation Silicon-Germanium (SiGe) devices, which IBM and GIT are investigation for future comms chip applications. The scientists wanted to see just how fast such a chip could be persuaded to run without malfunctioning or, in extreme cases, melting.

Yeah but...what the heck?! haha.

Who said that silicon had reached its limit? :p

I should be able to get this CPU to 2.6-8GHZ when I get new cooling, or close too. I would never get to the amount they have set :p

its IBM comeone.. there is ATI and Nvidia than Workstation cards.. So they cpu is just like the workstantion card.. its not going to be SuperPI and do games it going to be used for CAD or Hosting. if really that isnt the fast cpu for us becuase its not are type of cpu that people use, we use amd or intel

:p Haha, it shows its possible though in some form.

Wait for home users to get hold of freezers that don't use up that much power. Just stick the computer in there :D

If cooling a machine down to -268.5°C seems a trifle impractical, take heart from the boffins' other efforts, which saw the chip running at 350GHz at room temperature - rather better than the 2GHz commercial products for communications applications typically run at today.

since absolute zero is -273.15 °C, and they ran it at 350 ghz at room temperature (20 degrees celcius), then we have to imagine what they can do at -273

wow. Bring the Beer fridge up lol. They should test it out for gaming lol :p i will gladly

Its not a usual CPU, its a transistor. Thats why it clocks so high. They used liquid helium.

Back
Top Bottom