i7 Sony vs. Macbook Pro

wannabenerd

Beta member
The answer might be staring at me right in the face, nevertheless, i require input. PLZZZ! and thank you :]

Macbook Pro
Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Laptop - English - Best Buy Exclusive : Apple iMac - Best Buy Canada

VS.

Sony VAIO
Sony VAIO 16.4" Intel Core i7 740QM Quad-Core Laptop (VPCF132FDB) - Black : 16" Laptops - Future Shop

If you only had these two options to choose from, consider all pros and cons for both models, including the price, and pick ONE. Although suggestions for alternative models are welcome, i'd appreciate that you'd still pick one of the two mentioned above.
THANK YOUUU, this will really help ;]

The Sony, hands down.

Bigger screen, better processor, larger hard drive (granted, I didn't dig to see if either was faster), BluRay player (not saying much consider the applications on computer aren't great yet), but best of all, it's not a Mac (okay, okay, that one was just to get the Macboys going ;)).

They have the same amount of RAM -- didn't dig enough to find the speed difference, though..not that it will matter much, unless the Mac is only DDR2.
They have almost identical video cards.

Seriously. Save some cash and grab the Sony. It will outperform the Mac.

What will you be doing with it, if I may ask, and why comparing PC to Mac? Just wondering..

The Sony has an i7 quad core but it is only 1.73GHz which isn't a lot to be honest. Apple has a 2.4GHz dual, and depending on what you want the laptop for that may give you more of an advantage. Although I have never bought a Mac if I had the choice between the Sony and $200, or the Mac then I would definitely go with the Mac. It also has a better graphics chipset than the Sony.

But yeah, I much prefer PC & Windows, and I'm kinda ashamed to say I'd go with the Mac in your situation.

The Sony has an i7 quad core but it is only 1.73GHz which isn't a lot to be honest. Apple has a 2.4GHz dual, and depending on what you want the laptop for that may give you more of an advantage. Although I have never bought a Mac if I had the choice between the Sony and $200, or the Mac then I would definitely go with the Mac. It also has a better graphics chipset than the Sony.

But yeah, I much prefer PC & Windows, and I'm kinda ashamed to say I'd go with the Mac in your situation.

I'd much rather have 4 cores than 2 for most things. It's not like you'll be gaming on either of the laptops...that is one of the ONLY times I would agree that the C2D would outperform. You can't compare Ghz anymore between platforms. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Also, please don't make the argument that the Mac has a better GPU...it's better by a hair. Hardly at all.

I still stand behind my opinion to go with the Sony.

Plus, how long do you really think you'd last doing anything on a 13.3" screen?

Edit: Here's some CPU proof for you. Mac doesn't give exact specs, so it's either this, this or this....now compare that to the i7.

The Sony by far. Wheres the comparison?

That's what I was wondering. The difference is so night and day it's nuts...not to mention the price reflects the opposite of what it should. Once again, paying to put a piece of fruit on the outside of your computer....I will never understand it. I respect the people who do, but I will never understand it.

Carrying around a 16.4 in. laptop sucks. If you plan on moving around with it frequently, I would consider something smaller.

I have a 16.4" Sony. Carry it around at school all the time. To and from school. To and from clients' homes. To and from church. I never have any problems. It's not like carrying around a bag of sand. It's not that heavy.

I'm a skinny guy, that's probably why I don't like bringing mine around. It sits in my room for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom