i7 o'cing

akira282

In Runtime
Hey, first I want to say yes, I know there is a sticky on about this. I am reading that too. I wanted some more personalized feedback is all.

Anyway, I have the i7 920, antec 902, with a coolermaster v8.

I don't plan on overclocking my pc any time soon as I am still in the process of building. However, when the time comes. What's the best way to overclock the cpu to achieve I'd say 3.0-3.2 ghz is sufficient for me? I'm guessing I need to manipulate the FSB.

Also, I wanted to note that I have only overclocked GPUs in the past. I am not at all familiar with overclocking in BIOS. But, it is something I want to learn how to do. Any other resources would be nice.

You don't have to do anything my friend. The bios does everything for you. Set ur target cpu frequency and the bios automatically changes the fsb and voltages based on ur target frequency! I have friends who have gotten their i7's to 4 and 4.4 ghz on air so don't be afraid to oc this beast!!

You don't have to do anything my friend. The bios does everything for you. Set ur target cpu frequency and the bios automatically changes the fsb and voltages based on ur target frequency! I have friends who have gotten their i7's to 4 and 4.4 ghz on air so don't be afraid to oc this beast!!

Wow, if that's the case. That's a lot easier than I thought by far.

Any idea what kinds of idle temps and load temps should be appropriate for 3.0-3.2 ghz? I don't want to shorten the lifespan of my CPU by too great an amount. I want to use it for 5+ years lol

thats a lie you need water cooling to get past 4ghz on a core i7
and as long as you keep the heat under 60 you want harm the cpu

thats a lie you need water cooling to get past 4ghz on a core i7
and as long as you keep the heat under 60 you want harm the cpu

Not true at all! In another post I showed a cpuz of my friend's i7 4 ghz oc. I am waiting on my friend to give me his cpuz on the 4.4 ghz oc.

I don't know too much about i7's, but I feel that you would be better off overclocking manually, rather than setting it to an auto overclock feature. Auto settings will set voltages to a value that it thinks may be stable, but may be overshooting it and running higher volts than you need to.

It's not really that hard anyway, and at least you have peace of mind knowing what your voltages are.

Not true at all! In another post I showed a cpuz of my friend's i7 4 ghz oc. I am waiting on my friend to give me his cpuz on the 4.4 ghz oc.

Getting a computer to boot at a speed is one thing, stability is another. I would like to see a screen shot with a stability test like Prime95 or Orthos running for several hours.

I don't know too much about i7's, but I feel that you would be better off overclocking manually, rather than setting it to an auto overclock feature. Auto settings will set voltages to a value that it thinks may be stable, but may be overshooting it and running higher volts than you need to.

It's not really that hard anyway, and at least you have peace of mind knowing what your voltages are.

Getting a computer to boot at a speed is one thing, stability is another. I would like to see a screen shot with a stability test like Prime95 or Orthos running for several hours.

he says the the idle temps are 75° C, Orthos or Prime would shut that system right down after a few minutes...

Back
Top Bottom