i5-750 or i5-660?

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my low-end Core 2 Duo (e4300 @ 1.8Ghz) to either an i5-750 or an i5-660 for mainly gaming and video encoding. The gaming benchmarks at Tom's Hardware seem to favor the 750, but the other benchmarks seem to be a mixed bag. Which would you suggest I go with? I'm leaning toward the 750 for the seemingly better game framerates and the fact that its $10 less than the 660 on Newegg.

Also, I noticed the clockspeed on the 750 is lower, but it has 4 physical cores instead of 4 simulated cores like the 660; what kind of difference is that going to make exactly? I would assume physical cores would naturally outperform hyperthreaded ones, but will it be worth it since the clockspeed is lower? (I really don't want to mess with overclocking anymore)

Suggestions anyone? :cool:

The 750 is the better performer. That plus a good P55 mobo is a great combo for gaming.

Thanks for the second opinion; +1 for the 750. As far as P55 motherboards go, would this be a good choice? GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2

I don't think I'll ever be running a Crossfire or SLI setup so the extra PCI-e slot only running at 4x shouldn't really a big concern for me. I could go for the more expensive UD4 board but I'm not sure the extra $45 will be worth it for the better 2nd PCI-e slot (for me at least). Plus it looks like the UD4 board has a lot of negative reviews.

Yeah, I'm running on a Gigabyte right now and have not had any problems with it in the last 2 years or so. They seem pretty solid. Just wanted to get an extra opinion or two to make sure I'm not making a big mistake or anything.

Thanks for the posts, man. If anyone else has any other positive or negative comments on these parts, it would be much appreciated; I will probably make my order sometime later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom