i want raid 1. help please

amp27

Daemon Poster
so i got two sata drives. my current os one and my newone. i no i have raid one on my mobo. but how do i set this up? plug them in and then what

well you have to go into bios, and go to drive options. After your there you go to modes: or something of the sort, there should be ATA, RAID, and AHCI, change it to raid.

Re: I want RAID 1. Help Please.

I've seen many try to set up a RAID 1 array without re-installing the OS. It can be done with some RAID controllers. I.E. I have 2 onboard RAID controllers. My Silicon Image RAID Controller has to the option to 'create with data copy' which means that the controller would've just copied data from the source drive to the mirror drive to create the array. But my NVIDIA RAID Controller doesn't give me this option.:confused: Unfortunately not all controllers give you the same options, even though they give the same array options. Many usually create the array during an OS install.

Make sure you enable the SATA drives in the BIOS and enable RAID, if applicable.

The safest way you can set up RAID 1 is to save all your important files onto another medium then go for a complete re-install.

Before you re-install you need to create a RAID driver on a floppy disk. The RAID driver should be on the Driver CD that came with the mother board. It won't work without this. Once you have the floppy disk with the RAID driver on it you can go ahead with a complete re-install.

During the OS install watch at the bottom of the screen. It will give you the option to install RAID driver by pressing F6. Do this and it will prompt you to insert the floppy disk. Follow the instructions. When done it will carry on installing Windows. You then select the array to load windows on to after which it will format the array and continue to install.

The above process is the best way to create the array due to the fact that the OS is on it.

can i buy a raid card that can allow me to do raid without reformatting. or does anybody of the best cloneing software. free or not free

Back
Top Bottom