Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default I want more IDE devices

I recently purchased an MSI Neo4 Platinum (SLI) mobo. I currently have 2 HDD and 1 DVD RW, I'm a little confused though. The HDD that came with the computer is not IDE. I'm not sure exactly what it, the input is small and thin. Is that SATA????

But anyway, the DVD RW is clearly IDE, but there is only 1 other IDE slot which is used with my other HDD. I'm wondering what to do in order to add another CD drive, or hard drive. Thanks for your help.

Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to money_man
Default Re: I want more IDE devices

you should have nother ide connector on the ide cable running to ur dvd-rw. anyhoo yes a small thin connecter is sata. look on your motherboard (since i have teh exact same one) and the sata connectors are those purple ones below the reset cmops button. then theres 2 on bottom. plug it into one of those. andont use those cheap red cables they give you, i hate them you cant do anything with them

Neo 4 Platinum SLI Mobo
3dmark03- 15,542
3dmark05- 7081
money_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Baseband Member

yea there is another IDE on that cable, that's going in to my second HDD. That is on those red cables you're talking about - they are really annoying. But my problem is that I have a CDROM that is IDE that I want to put in there, but I can only find SATA connectors. All the specs I've found say that there are 4 IDE connectors, but I only see 2. Where are the other 2?
Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to zoomtm Send a message via MSN to zoomtm Send a message via Yahoo to zoomtm

there is another slot open on your motherboard that an IDE cable will plug into giving you the option of having two more IDE devices.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

You should have four connectors just using the two IDE Ports in the Motherboard though? One spare on the DVD Cable, if you're using the other for the two Hard Drives?

You can get extension IDE PCI Slots though, or a new cable with a Master and Slave plug.