Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Child Send a message via MSN to Voodoo Child Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo Child
Default Re: i think i have to let her go

i want to keep my one partition as is and i want to install it oon the other

i cannt mess up the other one

i think i have to reinstall cuz of spyware and stuff like that on my other part.

is there a way to keep all my programs and documents but kill everything else?

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 PM   #12
Solid State Member

Yes you can keep all your files, just tell xp to "uprgrade" it at the begining of the setup in windows, back up the files just in case of problems, but i never had any doing that. If you pick one partion to install windows on it will not erase the other UNLESS! it say something like do you want to format drive c. don't do that if it says so. make sure it says something like do u want to format partion (whichever one)

Dwhite528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Solid State Member

o sry i'll do a click by click, i've just been busy and haven't been at my home computer so i didn't have my xp cd with me before.

Steps.
1. place xp cd into cd-rom drive
2. When the blue screen pops up chose "install windows XP "( if it doesn't pop up go into my computer and "right" click on the cd rom drive u r using and chose "autoplay")

now i have to go by memory because i can't try the thing on my computer, it would mess it up.

3. I believe it goes to a screen that askes you if you want to upgrade or install a new windows. You want upgrade. Then you just follow the steps after that. I believe you have to put your product key in soon, but otherwise if pretty much does it for u. When it is completely don't and u are in windows xp u will need to unlock windows. if you have a dialup connection i suggest copying down the numbers so u won't lose them, but they should still be there after you upgrade (never trust what should happen though, u never know with computers) Anyway, you will need to unlock windows with an internet conection, don't worry you have 30 days to do this if you don't want to do it right away, also if you cant get the interent to work you can call microsoft and unlock it by phone.
Dwhite528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #14
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Child Send a message via MSN to Voodoo Child Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo Child

ya but where is the partition chooser?

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote