Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Raveboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Default I shall lay down the law upon thee!

If you purchase a computer with Win Xp preinstalled what are you supposed to do if a computer goes down and you need to do a fresh clean install of the operating system but the computer did not come with the Win XP on disk?

Do I not have any rights to a Win XP disc for that computer?

If so what can I say to the shop staff?

The computer does have the product key on it to for authentication.
__________________

__________________
Login incorrect.

Only perfect spellers may

enter this system.
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Baseband Member
 
Raveboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

PS this thread has been rewritten because of lack of response
__________________

__________________
Login incorrect.

Only perfect spellers may

enter this system.
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

You'd kind of have to contact your manufacturer and/or Microsoft.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

If it didn't come with XP on a disc, check to see if you have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Some PC manufacturers do that.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
Raveboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
If it didn't come with XP on a disc, check to see if you have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Some PC manufacturers do that.

I have tried the 'destructive' system restore to no such luck - it gets stuck in a recovery reboot cycle. This is why I am under the impression that I need to do a fresh clean install - Currys. Digital have informed me that they have stopped dishing out the disks. I have purchased a license for this Win XP operating system but I can't reinstall it because the shop didn't give me a disk to do the fresh clean install!!!

Surely consumer law gives me the right to an OEM disk or something but what do you tell the company (packard Bell/CurrysDigital)?
__________________
Login incorrect.

Only perfect spellers may

enter this system.
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

This believe it or not is quite common, i fell for that one aswell a few years back i ended up buying xp home, but there is away round it, get some image software like norton ghost or acronis this will back up your OS with all your programs installed aswell, then us partition magic to put it on another drive or just burn it onto a disc. then if you do have problems that cant be solved then you just restore it from your image you made when you backed it up.
You will never need to buy xp again or install it. i have ghost 2003 and that in my opinion is the best program ever made, i have restored my xp os lots of times
__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Baseband Member
 
Raveboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
but there is away round it, get some image software like norton ghost or acronis this will back up your OS with all your programs installed aswell, then us partition magic to put it on another drive or just burn it onto a disc.
I would try that if the operating system actually booted up. At present it is stuck in some recovery cycle which never gets completed then tries to do another recovery cycle. Its stuck in some loop.

What are my rights to acquire the Win XP operating system on disc which Currys/PC World so I can do a fresh clean install of the operating system?

I have purchased the O/S already so therefore I have a license -surely that means I can get it on a disc?
__________________
Login incorrect.

Only perfect spellers may

enter this system.
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveboy
I would try that if the operating system actually booted up. At present it is stuck in some recovery cycle which never gets completed then tries to do another recovery cycle. Its stuck in some loop.

What are my rights to acquire the Win XP operating system on disc which Currys/PC World so I can do a fresh clean install of the operating system?

I have purchased the O/S already so therefore I have a license -surely that means I can get it on a disc?
I am assuming it is quite a new computer, so do you have a guarantee with it, i would take it back to the shop, one thing you coud try is find someone who has that version of windows and run a clean install but put your key code in, i have seen this mention in a post recently and it is surpost to work although i have never tried it. if you wanted to try and save your files you could even try a repair with the xp disc instead of a clean install. (if you can get hold of a xp disc that is)
__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
I am assuming it is quite a new computer, so do you have a guarantee with it, i would take it back to the shop, one thing you coud try is find someone who has that version of windows and run a clean install but put your key code in, i have seen this mention in a post recently and it is surpost to work although i have never tried it. if you wanted to try and save your files you could even try a repair with the xp disc instead of a clean install. (if you can get hold of a xp disc that is)
and he needs to make sure that the disc matches the key code down to the SP version also, a friend of mine tried his Home Edition SP2 with a regular Home Edition disc and it didn't work, so basically, the keycode will work with the disc if the version is matched, the same friend borrowed my disc to reload Home Edition SP2 on his laptop and then just called Microsoft (okay, okay, I called, because he was nervous about what to say to them , because of upgrading, I'd been through that drill many times before) and activated it with a tech over the phone, the OEM version allows you to also have it running on a desktop as well, 1 desktop and 1 laptop, so his desktop activated automatically the next time he went on it (he needed it for that as well)...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine
and he needs to make sure that the disc matches the key code down to the SP version also, a friend of mine tried his Home Edition SP2 with a regular Home Edition disc and it didn't work, so basically, the keycode will work with the disc if the version is matched, the same friend borrowed my disc to reload Home Edition SP2 on his laptop and then just called Microsoft (okay, okay, I called, because he was nervous about what to say to them , because of upgrading, I'd been through that drill many times before) and activated it with a tech over the phone, the OEM version allows you to also have it running on a desktop as well, 1 desktop and 1 laptop, so his desktop activated automatically the next time he went on it (he needed it for that as well)...
Cheers for the extra info wol-va-rine, as i have never tried it i could not say it would or wouldnt work
__________________

__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0