I put to much thermal compound on my processor now my computer wont work!

FATAL FLAW

Baseband Member
This was my first time using thermal compound on my new heatsink and fan. I tried to turn on my comp and my motherboard wouldnt post! I think that it killed my mobo but I do not know. I took out my processor and found thermal compound on the pins. Is there a way to clean the pins so I dont have to buy a new processor?

whoa, how much did you put? All that is needed is about a grain of rice size application. Anyway, if the thermal paste has gotten onto the pins, then you may have done some serious damage to he cpu. I'm not sure though, you'll have to see what others say.

It is an amd 64 x2 duel core. I found a little on the side pins but I didnt find any cosmetic marks usually saying that I fried it.

First get that stuff off the pins. I wanna say Q-Tip, but that may cause static issues, maybe someone else can chime in.

I blew most of it off with compressed air but I dont want to touch the pins without someone saying how to.

q-tip would be fine. just make sure you are in contact with something that is grounded, and ground yourself before touching the processor to avoid any static problems.

ok, so let me get this figured out.
what model is the X2? (i.e. 4600, 5200, etc.)
what model is the motherboard?
where all did you put thermal paste?
how much and of what brand did you use?
how did you apply the paste? (did you just put a dab, or did you physically spread it out.)
did the computer EVER post?

if the computer didnt post at all the first time that means there is something else going on. if the processor is overheating the computer will come on but will shut itself down to protect the processor from overheating and melting itself. most likely you wont be able to see any physical damage on the outside of the processor, if anything was fried that'd be on the inside...

Don't bend any of the pins when your trying to clean them! Some isopropyl alcohol will help get the thermal compound off a little easier, just dip the q-tip in it first.

AS5 is electrically conductive, if you used that you may have fried the cpu/board.

I have cleaned a Skt 775 with Isopropyl alcohol (99.7% pure) and a q-tip with no ill effects

ok I have an old MSI motherboard.
It is amd x2 I do knot know the auctual socket type.
I put the thermal paste on the processor
I used thermal paste from compusa i think it is thermaltake
I just dabbed it
My computer has been working for about 6 months since I built it.

Back
Top Bottom