I need some help with BF2

jrsons601

Baseband Member
Ok well I get the demo. WEEE its great. but it plays smooth and then it wil lock up terrible. Not a complete lock up but it gets around like 16 frames and I like jump all over. That was when I had my 6800NU 128. So I thought its just a demo the real game will be ok. I went out and got a new gfx card. The 6800gt 256 just to make sure id be fine. Well Im playing and its good on the regular game. Im not even dropping below 60 frames with some high settings. and then BOOM I start stallin out all over. I even in the full game have to exit the game to stop it.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS GOING ON BUT IM PISSED PLEASE HELP.

p4 3.2 prescot load 38(not a heat problem thank god)
1 gig corshair ( Iv got enough ram)
The evga 6800gt 256 ( a nice card) newest drivers.
and a 480 thermaltake pure power.
Sound blaster audigy 1 card. Audio on high.
I really dont know whats goin on.

thanks cheesejr

load 38 - Thats very cool for a prescot... are you sure?... Thats lower than an AMD (supposed to be cooler) with no load on standard heatsink/fan...

NARROWING DOWN:

Because the older card did it, it can't be the new card.
Also, because the demo did it, it can't be the game either... so it must be something to do with hardware in that case.

CPU TEMP PROTECTION:

The CPU temperature does worry me though, and it could be this.

This would cause the game to slowdown and crash if the CPU was getting too hot playing this game, but Pentium have a great protection feature which will slow the core clock (frequency) down until temperatures reach a safe level to stop the CPU burning up which would stop any game in its tracks, even with a good card...

SOLUTION:

When you say that temperature is on load, is it taken when the game is going barmy?

I say this because the core frequency could have already dropped probably when you check, giving a safe temperature of 28 degrees
(since this is too low for a pentium 4 prescot in load and is why I think its because the frequency inside dropped, which would also be why you only get around 16fps in the game, and it dies))

SOLUTION:

So I'd check the cpu heatsink and fan is working all the time by taking off the side and watching it while playing, and if it stutters or stops when this starts happening, or even slows down, replace it immediatly

If it doesn't do anything weird, I would then turn the PC off, take the heatsink off, and re-apply thermal paste (buy soem from any computer store) (plus don't apply too much, only a few layers thick as too much would cause it damage too) and then put it back and try again.

I hope this fixes it for you and you understand more :)

he explained its not that:

The evga 6800gt 256 ( a nice card) newest drivers

and it can't be the game either, so thats why I know its the CPU. I mean look at that CPU load temp, and you tell me thats not low! :p

I know ur really smart(seriously) Iv seen ur posts. but I have an xp-90c so Its supposed to be that low... I have a 60 cfm fan straped to that so it cools nice. Along with 6 other case fans. Its not quite But its COOL lol. so thanks. I was just told my 2002 sound drivers could have messed my whole game up so im gonna go try the new ones out. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

FAN:

No problems...yeah, I guess it won't be the temperatures then :p I'd still check the CPU fan doesn't slowdown or stutter about when it starts happening though in mid-game.

SOUND DRIVERS:

Yeah, try updating the sound drivers, though I wouldn't expect this to drop the fps that low and cause a crash, though of course, try anything. You never know :p
and it could be this if the CPU fan isn't going funny since its the only thing that hasn't changed in your system that could be causing it.

NO UPDATES:

I would have said to try updating the game from the website as well, but they don't have any yet, so I wouldn't guess it would be anything to do with that either or they would have created some already to fix bugs...

So yeah, the sound drivers seem to be the likely cause. Keep us updated, yeah?

Thanks for that comment by the way :)

Yeah, it very well could be the sound drivers. I had a problem with Half-Life 2, where it would slow down my framerate considerably (though not crash) when certain audio was played. I upgraded to XP and updated the drivers and it works better. Now the game is only CPU and GPU limited, instead of having the audio on top.

does it only happen in battlefield 2? Or does it happen in any other high demanding computer games? Because I know a lot of people who play the game with a similar problem, but they dont get it with anyother game, meaning itst the game not your computer. Meaning with no updates out for it, their wouldnt be anything you could do

Another thing just could be that, although you ahve the latest drivers, they just don't work well? I had a wierd problem with BF:Vietnam. The graphics would go to hell with vertexes locking on to objects and everything being drawn incorrectly. I switched over to the Omega Nvidia drivers and problem solved. Mind you, this was all before I switched over to XP.

You may be suprised but the audio can be a female dog (if you catch my drift). It can slow down games a lot worse then people assume. So yea I would check the drivers, also check the drivers for your chipset.

Back
Top Bottom