Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default I need some advice.

Hello all, I would really appreciate some help. I'm inheriting a state-of-the-art gaming rig, which unfortunately doesn't hold-up by today's standards, as it was top of the line in 2006. This computer means a lot to me, so I would rather upgrade it than build a new rig. The case is in great condition and looks awesome, the PSU is 550w or so. Obviously, I would have to replace the mobo, GPU, CPU, and RAM. I'm just wondering how I should go-about doing so.

The computer is outfitted with a water-cooling system, which I'll likely have to remove. I'm not sure if there is also a fan in it. I'm looking to play higher-end games, especially the forthcoming BF3 on higher settings. I want to replace the parts with:

mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Intel i5 2500k

GPU: GeForce GTX 570
GeForce GTX 560

RAM: 6GB or 8GB DDR3

In other words: I need someone to tell me if I can upgrade this computer easily, and if so, which set of parts would be the best cost-to-value ratio for game performance. Thank you so much.

QwertyMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: I need some advice.

GPU:If your going for the GTX 560 i would instead jump to Geforce 560 Ti. And if your going to get either 570 or 560ti or 560, i would suggest adding some more power to atleast 600W or 750W if you are going to SLI in the future.

RAM:For some reason, i found that 2x4GB RAM sticks are cheaper then 3x2GB RAM sticks, so why not go for 8GB?

CPU:My favourite CPU is probably the Intel i5 2500k, but thats just my opinion.

iDoNtKn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: I need some advice.

System is fine as long as you match it with a good, name brand power supply. iDoNtKn0W's right about the RAM though, you aren't doing yourself any favors by doing 6GB. Get 8GB at a minimum.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote