i need help setting up my linksys router to my laptop. plz help

MaBallzItch

Solid State Member
my problem is that i need to know if i can set up my laptop with my linksys router. what i need is that i basiclly need my computer to be a modem for my linksys router. i have wireless connection on my laptop i don't have a modem. so i have internet on my laptop so i wanted to know if i can hook my linksys wireless router to my laptop so that all my other computers can get internet because i need wired connection. if anyone can help me it would be awsome. thank you and btw im running on windows xp

First of all, how are you getting the wireless connection to your laptop? You must have a modem and wireless router in the house to do so. . .

Hmmm im thinking he has one of those verizon or at&t laptops that have that built in crap. im not sure if you can send the internet out of the laptop

my neighbor mike he lets me use his internet cause he has a wireless router.....and i have a wireless card so thats how i get my internet.

I wouldn't go through the laptop, I would set up a wireless ethernet bridge and hook that up to a switch (or the switch ports on your router, I suppose). Does your neighbor know you want to do this? He might not be cool with you eating up all his bandwidth like that.

so if i set up a wireless ethernet bridge ....i can set up other stuff to use the internet through ethernet cable....like my desktop or my ps3 ect.?:confused:

Yeah, but again, make sure your neighbor knows you're doing this as it will noticeably impact the speed at which he is able to surf the internet, download, stream video/audio, etc. Everything will be slower for everyone...

Most of them come with software wizards to walk you through the process. You basically connect it to a wired ethernet port on a PC, load the CD and run the installation program (although sometimes the the installation will go through the entire process, including when and where to plug in the cables). Once it's set up, you can plug the bridge into a switch along with the other devices you wish to connect.

ohh......so i need to buy some kind of device...i cant usemy wireless linksys router?...i need to buy a wireless network bridge?

Back
Top Bottom