1) What is your budget?
2) What size laptop would you prefer?
15"-17" screen, but preferably 17".
3) Where will you buying this laptop?
United States at Best Buy.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I'm open to any brand, although I hear that Asus is really good at making quality laptops.
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Maybe, but I would prefer new.
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this laptop?
- Graphics programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Maybe using a 3D modeling program like Maya.
- Web Browsing, Internet and E-mail.
- Microsoft Office.
- Maybe the occasional movie.
- Maybe the occasional video game, but nothing crazy intensive like Crysis or Battlefield Bad Company 2.
7) Will you be taking the laptop with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
8) Will you be playing games on your laptop? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Occasional games, but nothing super graphic-intensive.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
The more the better.
10) Would you prefer to see the laptops you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I like to see what I am purchasing most of the time.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
1366x768 or higher.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
It doesn't matter either way, I have a NICE HP desktop monitor that is glossy sitting right next to one that isn't glossy, so either one is fine. I do like the nice colors that glossy screens display.
14) Are the laptop's looks and stylishness important to you?
Somewhat, I don't like some of the Toshiba laptops that have the large battery that kind of acts as a stand for the laptop.
15) When are you buying this laptop?
ASAP, within the next day or so.
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
A few years, but the longer the better.
17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
I can get away with 200GB and be set for life, but I am not opposed to having a larger sized hard drive. I do not need an SSD at this time.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Yes I need an optical drive, Blu-Ray would be a nice bonus, but it isn't absolutely necessary.
Basically, I have to choose a laptop from Best Buy because someone is helping me purchase it using their Best Buy charge card, so any purchasing option other than Best Buy, unfortunately, will not work for me.
I looked at reviews on PCMag.com for these laptops and both of them got great reviews, I really do like the 17" screen on the Dell, but the battery life may be a cause for concern. I'm just not sure if fronting the extra $100.00 will be worth it for the Dell computer. I have a desktop set-up that is very old (other than my dual monitors) that I am considering permanently replacing with my new laptop. I am still not 100% sure on that though, as I may build myself a super-powerful desktop sometime in the near future.
Here are links to both of the laptops that I was looking at:
Someone recommended this one to me, the specs look good, but it is refurbished so I am a little hesitant. Also, I am not sure if the AMD Phenom II chip in it is as good as the Intel Core i5 in the other ones that I was looking at.
I am honestly torn and I need some advice on this decision. I really would appreciate some technical
guidance on this decision! Thanks in advance!