i need help brainstorming this problem

the ryan

Baseband Member
so i was building my friend a new computer tonight and it's the first ever i couldn't get to work properly. note* im not trying to say im great at building them, i only build them maybe once a year maybe i just overlooked something. but anyways this is my frst time building a micro atx if that makes any difference.

so we started with his old case which was from a pre built hp maybe 5 years old. we bought the new parts which are:

amd 64x2 6000+ dual core

asus micro atx motherboard. i can't remember exactly which model number at this exact moment which one but i will update when i go look at it again.

4GB 1066 corsair ram... now that im on this i should probably take a closer look at the ram compatibility with the motherboard but when i ordered it i was sure everything was compatible.

he is using his old hard drive 250gb seagate. his hard drive was hooked up via sata cable in the old setup i never looked in the bios, but i hooked the hard drive up to the sata 1 and sata 2 slots on different attempts to get it working. in the bios it said the hard drive was IDE number 3 or something like that.

2 old dvd- rom/dvd-rw drives hooked up via IDE one master one slave

3870 radeon 512 mb

i ca n't think of anything else at the moment. we tried to look for something to plug the firewire into and all the other headers on the front panel. in the end i only left the power LEd and hdd led plugged in and took out the front usb, etc.

all help is much appreciated.

He can't get it to work properly..that should be enough info surely. :D

Seriously theryansicle if you want help you have to say what the problem is.

That's a custom built case and most aftermarket boards don't properly mount up to the back plate. Check for the back of the board touching some where just to be safe.
As for the mis-indentified drive, I'd bet it's a sata II drive that was jumpered down to a sata I. If it has a jumper on it and the board supports sata II, make sure the jumper is in the correct position.

LOL, im sorry guys i'm out of it i spent like 2 hours starring at it like what did i do wrong.

the computer boots up to windows load screen for 1-2 seconds i get blue screen for 1-2 seconds then it reboots.

you can't get it to work properly could be a number of things, you need tyo be more specific...

does it power on at all...? do the fans spin and are there beeps but just no video...? is the video card fan spinning...? do you have the video card power connector plugged into the psu...? is the psu a cheap POS that may not be able to handle the system...?

dude, there are numerous possibilities here, again, you need to be more specific...

does it power on at all...? do the fans spin and are there beeps but just no video...? is the video card fan spinning...? do you have the video card power connector plugged into the psu...? is the psu a cheap POS that may not be able to handle the system...?

yes it powers on boots past the mobo load screen starts goes to OS select menu i select windows xp, windows starts the loading screen for ~1-2 seconds then it cuts to blue screen for ~1-2 seconds then it reboots and does the same thing over.

Sounds like the MBR is screwed up.

If it was an MBR problem it wouldn't get as far as the Windows loading screen.

The problem is happening when the OS loads to RAM.

:rolleyes:

I think it's a RAM problem. And you have 4GB of it with XP. So I think check the BIOS and look for the 'DRAM Over 4G Remapping' option in the memory settings. Enable this feature and see if this helps.

Back
Top Bottom