Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default i need help

hi all,

i have a dell laptop that is running windows vista. for the last 3 or 4 days, everything will be fine for about 5-10 minutes after I boot up. then i will get online and within just a few minutes, everything will completely freeze up and I'll have to manually reboot the computer. i'm not very tech-savvy, but is there any way to tell what the heck is going on? Sometimes when i reboot i get a "recovered from an unexpected error" message and it says the my RAID controller is missing a driver.... I follow the download instructions but the system still keeps crashing....

please help me!

Jason

jasonbwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: i need help

Does it only happen when you go online? What if you just turn it on and leave it sit for an hour? If it only happens when you go online, then it might be something in Internet Explorer (if that is the browser you are using).

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Does it only happen when you go online? What if you just turn it on and leave it sit for an hour? If it only happens when you go online, then it might be something in Internet Explorer (if that is the browser you are using).
it happens in internet exploder and in firefox, but if im not online

the friggin "geek squad" said that they could "probably" diagnose it if i paid them $70 bux and left if with them for two weeks. that wont do.... i need it, like right now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbwell View Post
it happens in internet exploder and in firefox, but if im not online

the friggin "geek squad" said that they could "probably" diagnose it if i paid them $70 bux and left if with them for two weeks. that wont do.... i need it, like right now!!
also....update, it works fine in safe mode on the internet, but i soon as i get back into normal mode, it dies again
jasonbwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Send a message via Yahoo to m4rkf0x

@geek squad comment; it takes long because its a PC(Personal Computer).
I would suggest cleaning your cache(cash), cookies ect. Ccleaner(ccleaner.com) is a good program to clean files not needed. Also did you install any programs recently that would of installed a toolbar or an add-on to both browsers?
Check if you had the latest updates for your main browser, also check your java version java.com
Windows 7 Professional x86 Build 7600
A+ Certified
m4rkf0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

If it works in safe mode, then it might be something loading up on startup causing the issue.

Go to START>RUN type MSCONFIG and go to the startup tab. Everything that starts when the computers turns on is listed here. Uncheck everything and try again, if it works go through and do 5 or so a time until you can tell which item is causing the problem.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
In Runtime

There is always a chance that the OS is a copied one.
I mean, just in case.

Gamputer is offline   Reply With Quote