I need an AGP

PeterBZ

Solid State Member
I just bought a new computer and found out that my motherboard only have PCI and no AGP (although there is a space to fill the AGP, the port just isn't there). I was wondering if it was possible to buy an AGP since I heard that AGP Video Cards are better than PCI Video Cards.

Sorry, I'm not really good with computer hardware....

Thanks in advance!

Nope you can't buy a AGP alot, and yes AGP slots are better then PCI slots. Are you sure it's not a PCI-Ex16 slot. if it is thats better then AGP slots.

Because the computer I bought has a motherboard with a on-board video card, and the slot where video cards are usually placed is empty and below that empty space are 3 PCI slots I believe, the standard ones.

For example, I buy a Sapphire Radeon X700 256MB DDR PCI-E video card, and it's Bus is PCI-Express x16, would I be able to plug the card into the standard PCI slots. If I can, would I ruin the card's performance?

PCIe cards aren't compatible with PCI slots. That's a downer. You'll have to settle with a regular PCI card. (AGP slots are usually offset to the right a little and comes in brown color or sometime different color depending on the motherboard. They are the very first slot on the motherboard for reference.)

TRDCorolla said:
PCIe cards aren't compatible with PCI slots. That's a downer. You'll have to settle with a regular PCI card. (AGP slots are usually offset to the right a little and comes in brown color or sometime different color depending on the motherboard. They are the very first slot on the motherboard for reference.)
So do PCI Cards suck a lot? I checked my motherboard, there are no AGP or PCI-E slots. There're just normal PCI slots. Are PCI cards even compatible to today's games such as Half Life 2 and Doom 3?

I guess the only way out is to change my motherboard... but if I do that, do I have to reformat my harddrives and everything? What do I need to transfer if changing motherboards? By the way, is that black small chip on the motherboard the CPU? If so, what are it's functions?

Sure they are. They just won't be able to paly the games at the highest settings. I have a 9600SE in this computer, and I can play pretty much any game. The only problem is that I'd have to play on lower resolutions for higher framerates.

What is a good PCI video card that is compatible with today's games and under $150 CDN? Also, where can I get them? I've looked through a few computer stores' websites and I could only find AGP and PIC-Express video cards. I couldn't find PCI cards.

PeterBZ said:
and the slot where video cards are usually placed is empty and below that empty space are 3 PCI slots I believe, the standard ones.

Are you saying (probably brown) AGP slot is there, but no video card is in it, therefore empty?

Can you get a read on what the motherboard model is and share that with us?

No, there IS no AGP slot. The video card is onboard. As for the motherboard model, how do I check that?

well, you can probably just give us the model PC you got and we can figure out the motherboard model from that

Back
Top Bottom