I have a genuine product key, but currently run an illegal one

greybell

Solid State Member
Hi, all!

My family bought a computer with an OEM version of Windows XP Home installed several years ago. A couple of years later, some files got corrupted and I had to reinstall, only the original Windows CD with legitimate product key was snapped in half.

The people at a company said they would reinstall their own version, which was a copy and had a new illegal product key. Now, Microsoft is worrying me silly with messages – ‘You have an invalid copy of Windows' – popping up all over the place.

I would like to be able to change the product key back the original legal one so that I can enjoy the Windows Genuine Advantage and not feel like a criminal! Is this possible for free? Please help, because my parents find it very confusing, and I feel bad as I'm 14 and find some the situation quite distressing. I had a nightmare about it the day before it actually happened!

P.S. I did look at one way of doing this, but you had to deactivate Windows first and I worried that if I did, I might not be able to reactivate it with the old key. My parents would be upset!

Thanks, from Sean.

Umm, usually if you try to install a program that requires validation, they'll open up a page that tells you about how you can buy a Genuine license for cheaper than you normally buy it. I'm afraid there is no "free" way of getting Geniune. :(

But I do have a REAL holographic official disc (but broken) and a REAL legitimate product key designated by Microsoft. It is also the same PC, only with a new HD. Surely I can reactivate somehow?

Thanks, but I'm wondering - if I deactivate Windows, as I am told by the article, what will happen if it decides not to accept the legal product key? I would be DOOMED after 14 days!

Haha, i'm in the same boat, I have to wait 15 seconds before I can log in, while it tells me about legit stuff.

Do you mean things like this all the time?

I do need to get it sorted...

Contact Microsoft Support about your disc being broken. They'll probably ask for a serial number or something and just reactivate it for you or something.

Joxley1990, you've hit the nail on the head! What a palava it is, eh? We're both in this one together. Have you ever had a legitimate product key or are you an outlaw :p !

I think I will cross my fingers and contact my old friends at Microsoft. They've always been nice to me before.

call up microsoft saying that what happened and they *might* send you a new key.

Back
Top Bottom