I have $240...tell me if this is a good upgrade!

Xiggy

Daemon Poster
ok guys i got $200 for my birthday and i want to upgrade my computer

i have $240 total so this is what i came up with
i play games like bf2...rainbow six raven shield (already can max out)..and soon bf2142..also FEAR

ne ways this is my current setup

pentium 4 1.8ghz 400 mhz fsb
intel d845hv mobo agp 4x 400mhz fsb socket 478
3x256 mb pc 133
XFX 7600gs 256mb 128bit running at agp 4x because of mobo

nwo i found this new cpu/mobo/ram...tell me if this would be ne good

pentium d 2.8ghz $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819116213

foxconn 865g7mf mobo $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813186060

512x2mb ddr400 dual channel kit PQI cas latency 2.5 $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141152

that is $240...do you think that will run my games a lot better..i konw my video card could run double speed on the output and my processor would be much better..also dual channel ram that is actually fast (pc133 sucks horribly)

so what do you think?

also i will get a new harddrive later...i have a 20gb harddrive right now

yeah get that stuff, but if possible, get a better motherboard and regular p4 processor to save money :)

i have the same processor and same ram, looks good. I would agree that it would be better to get a better mobo though

But the Pentium D is dual core, its better than the P4's. I would go with the Pentium D.

oh my god, you're still trying to upgrade your computer? every one of your posts was about upgrading your computer. just upgrade it already! the specs look good, so go for it

Save more money and get a PCI-E mobo. Agp is going out of stye. Sell the 7600GS agp version, save a lil more money and buy the same card in PCI-E.

sry lol its just that now i actually have the money...and i think im going to go for this setup!

and dont worry sooooo much about pcix16 lol
agp is still very strong so dont worry about it for now..could you help me find a better mobo?

needs to be
microATX
agp8x slot
pentium d capable
socket 775 of course
anddd i woudl really like dual channel ability so i can run the ram a little faster :) thx

(i suck at shoping for mobo's so just asking for some help thx)

this review makes the processor questionable
Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

Pros: Cheap, Cheap, cheap. good at multi tasking, ect. Does NOT RUN HOT. for all the reviews you read about processors overhaeting with the stock fan, is because they didn't set the heatsink on right. runs 30-32C idle.(or sufing ect). The stock heatsink is designed for it! of course it works! Now to the cons.

Cons: NOT FOR GAMING WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!. My 3 year old p4 2.8Ghz 800FSB, SMOKES THIS THING. This supposed dual core beast takes over 8 mins to load a single map of BF2, my p4 does it in about 60 seconds. WITH THE SAME SETUP. acutually my system has a slower speed ram so WTH!. Anyways I am VERY surpised at just how lame this thing is, for $xX less you can get a faster Processor, the p4. It does everything you want it to, but lets put it this way, its not much faster then a celeron D.

Other Thoughts: Don't buy this thing its no good, your better off buying a P4, or an AMD of similar price. Or if you have the cash for the LOVE OF you know who(Xamn you newegg) BUY A CORE 2 DUO!! Belive it or not, if you game you'll regret it. p.s Im not the only one whos mentioned this. Stop censoring me NEWEGG!, you do rock though:p

all i do is game!~

wow after reading alllll these reviews...this thingis like a souped up celeron d...its multi tasking but SUCKS for gaming!
may look for something else now...amd?

the first thing i thought of most peoplewouldnt think of this but wait for about another month and get windows vista home prmium its $240 but the upgrade is only $160 so i mean then you can get more

dude i dont want vista..its just going to cost me more money...and will definately take up more resources on my computer...id rather actually have linux over xp becuase it takes up less resources

ne ways onto the hardware

so you think i should try amd?....i can get a 3700+ for $90

nvm i cant find a single mobo with agp.....soooo maybe back to core 2 duo or a realllly fast pent. 4?

Dude, will you just get those pieces? They will work great on that system. Don't bother rebuilding from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom