I hate Intel with a ******* passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Agreed ^^^
I'm happy to hear they are releasing the hexa-cores. Though everyone's right - almost nothing fully utilizes quad core's yet...But still, they will eventually. The price is probably going to be in the 1k range. I can't believe after how long it has been, the C2E QX9770 is /still/ ~1,500 dollars <--- (I think that is right). Anyways Rohan, I'm sure you'll be happy when you pick up one of those new hexa's in 8 or so months :)

Well ****, im glad when i upgraded my comp i skiped out in the i7 mobo, and i dont utilize my quad core haha so why make a 6 core!?

^^^ Agreed ^^^
I'm happy to hear they are releasing the hexa-cores. Though everyone's right - almost nothing fully utilizes quad core's yet...But still, they will eventually.

I for one disagree:

CPU-98.jpg

This is what happens when I process video. With the 3Ghz quad core it takes about 20 minutes to do the same work that my old 3Ghz single core took two hours to complete. I tend to work the hell out of my processors. Now if I could just keep the temps down!

Though everyone's right - almost nothing fully utilizes quad core's yet...But still, they will eventually

I for one disagree:
This is what happens when I process video. With the 3Ghz quad core it takes about 20 minutes to do the same work that my old 3Ghz single core took two hours to complete. I tend to work the hell out of my processors. Now if I could just keep the temps down!

That is unrelated to the discussion. Is that an AMD proc?

I may be a little off topic, I apologize for that. The processor is an Intel Q9650.

[edit]
I guess the point I (should be) trying to make is that I am really looking forward to processor advancement. Six cores would allow me to process quite a bit more in the same amount of time, provided the heat factor can be controlled. The big question in my mind is price.

Again, forgive me for running off on a tangent.
[end edit]

I may be a little off topic, I apologize for that. The processor is an Intel Q9650.

[edit]
I guess the point I (should be) trying to make is that I am really looking forward to processor advancement. Six cores would allow me to process quite a bit more in the same amount of time, provided the heat factor can be controlled. The big question in my mind is price.

Again, forgive me for running off on a tangent.
[end edit]

Only 6?! Why not hold out for 16?:D
I can't wait for it, but I think it will be a server CPU, not a desktop one, so it will be hard to find a good board. Has anyone heard much about it lately? Last I heard was April-May 2010

Only 6?! Why not hold out for 16?:D
I can't wait for it, but I think it will be a server CPU, not a desktop one, so it will be hard to find a good board. Has anyone heard much about it lately? Last I heard was April-May 2010

The faster the progress the better in my opinion. I still can't get enough CPU power without paying thru the nose. I wonder if the new socket was needed to accommodate the 6 core processor. I looked at dual processor boards, but the cost was way up there. I won't be holding out for 16 cores, but maybe when they get to 8 cores, the 6 core processors will be more of a bargain.

The faster the progress the better in my opinion. I still can't get enough CPU power without paying thru the nose. I wonder if the new socket was needed to accommodate the 6 core processor. I looked at dual processor boards, but the cost was way up there. I won't be holding out for 16 cores, but maybe when they get to 8 cores, the 6 core processors will be more of a bargain.

No. It is socket F, the same as all the other opterons. Someone on the net got hold of one, and built a 24-core system on a 4 socket server board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom