I don't understand Linux.

Windex1

In Runtime
I downloaded one of those linux boot cd things with an .ISO and put it on a cd so I could from it, but I didn't understand the whole point of Linux.

When a person obtains linux, do they have to install all their hardware in a specific way?
I noticed my wireless network adpater on my laptop was not working whatsoever so I wasn't able to use the internet on linux.

I find the most interesting thing on there was the tea timer. I could make a cup of tea and keep track of it. Fun!

What OS did you D/L? Yes, not all hardware is compatible with Linux. You have to go to your manufacturers website and download a driver for linux, and then it will work. However, new kernels can recognize a really wide range of hardware objects...

If you need help, tell us your distro and specific problem.

Knoppix i think.. I lost over 40 CDs at the moment... It was one of them... hmm i wonder where my CDs went..

Yeah Knoppix is a LiveCD.. it's a good example, but it doesn't install on the hard drive itself.

since it's not on the hard drive, it doesn't recognize the drivers on the c: drive? So if i were to put knoppix on a dvd-cd, how would I add the driver files to it?

since it's not on the hard drive, it doesn't recognize the drivers on the c: drive? So if i were to put knoppix on a dvd-cd, how would I add the driver files to it?
Knoppix does a good job at recognizing your hardware. When I boot into knoppix, It recognizes every peice of hardware I have.

Just to paint a picture, I installed SuSE onto my computer. I choose to do the Yast install. Which is very similar to Windows' installation. With Yast you don't have to configure anything yourself. Well, after I was done I had to manually load the drivers for my NIC, GPU, and Soundcard. When I boot into knoppix on my computer, It loads the drivers and mounts everything that on my computer.

I have knoppix too, recognises all of mine except my ISDN PCI card. It seems that nearly all problems with knoppix are related to the inability to get onto the net.
It boots as standard with the 2.4 kernal (the most stable one) but comes with the 2.6 also which you can use using the boot command.. er.. knoppix26 i believe, its in the boot options (press F2 or F3 for that - full listing in your 'cheatcodes' text file on the disk.
The 'point' of linux, as you so beautifly put it, is to make windows users realise how OS's should've been designed. Sure it is more complex than windows, im not disputing that, and to the average member of the public would be harder to use (mainly because everyone is used to windows, if windows never existed it would be reasonably straightforward as all hardware drivers etc would've been made for linux primarily) no matter what linux claims it is harder to use that windows, but the advanced features of it are so much easier to use than windows, even the command shell. That is genius in a box! when a command doesnt work, it actually tells you in english why. Once you get used to it, you realise just what's been missing in your life and all your windows frustrations are gone, along with windows - out the window :)

But yes, if the 2.6 kernal doesnt recognise your hardware either then you'll just need to download the linux drivers (from windows) then boot knoppix, and install the drivers, and then save your config (/usr/sbin/saveconfig at a shell, or its in the K menu) and boot knoppix with either "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" (if you saved to floppy - change floppy for alternate device if necessary) or just do the easier one, "knoppix myconfig=scan" and it will find it for you itself. I expect that should work, although honestly I haven't tried it and I'm still not on the net. But I may give it a go come to think of it (I just though of the idea while reading this topic)

I personally think everything should have stayed at windows 3.1 lol
is there a user guide for this because that boot process you speak of is romanian to me.

... most linux programs already have like ... EVERY hardware driver installed, or it will find it and install it with out u knowing. its just a matter of going to the options or settings and activating the certain things and what not, like my sound card, i couldnt get sound till i deactivated the on board sound, and then put my audigy as primary sound, its all just a matter of setting things up and configuring all the settings thats it and if u do decide to actually get linux, i suggest gettin SuSe

Back
Top Bottom