I don't get it...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I have an HP Mini 1030NR with WinXP Home on it and it's doing something strange.

Every time I start it up after shutting it down, it will load XP (does a strange hurky-jerky thing with the windows graphic fade in, though...) relatively normally. Gets to the sign in screen fine after ~45 sec, which is normal. Once I type my password in, it will get to the desktop fine. Quick launch bar (which I have docked on the top of my screen) pops up...task bar pops up...desktop is there...everything appears fine...but the startup sound doesn't play. Apon further inspection, you notice the icons in the tray aren't there...you mouse down there by the clock (which is there) and get an hourglass. Same thing over the whole task bar like the thing is still loading. Programs launch from the quick launch bar without a problem usually during this weird limbo state.

How long this lasts varies. It's been doing this for quite a while now (couple months...???) and, sometimes it will last for a min, sometimes 5-10. Ctrl+alt+del doesn't do anything and the windows icon doesn't do anything during this time.

Then, when it feels like getting un-stuck, BOOM...your tray icons pop up, the sound plays and everything is normal. Computer runs perfectly fine once un-stuck.

Also, this doesn't happen when returning from hibernation. It only happens on initial boot up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this? It doesn't make sense and it's a tough thing to describe to search for.

Anyone?

Hmm, not come across this problem before but just for the sake of maintenance I'd recommend cleaning out the registry and running a virus scan just in case they help. Might also be worth going through your startup items (start, run, msconfig, startup tab) and see if there's anything untoward there.

Does the same issue occur in safe mode?

Is "hurky jerky" a technical term?.....lol.....sorry, that made me laugh.

Anyway, run virus and spyware scans and defrag and see what you come up with. Also run the scans in safe mode. It's weird though, sounds like you have some sort of conflict somewhere, maybe a corrupt windows file? Maybe you should try reinstalling windows?

Yes, Tommy...it's a very technical term:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/herky-jerky

rofl...I was drunk and annoyed by this problem when I made this post...obviously...lol

And Top Gear rules all...one of my all-time favorite shows.

Anyway...I've defragged (Defragler ftw) and done all the registry scans (CCleaner ftw) that a person can do. I also have AVG free on here that runs every day or two as well as spybot search and destroy, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender that all also get run periodically. In addition, I also have gone through the start up multiple times. The thing's definately clean...that's why this is so confusing.

On the "reload windows" front, I'm about || this close to saying to hell with it all together and installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on here. I put a live version on my USB drive and booted from it a few times and REALLY like it. Only reason I don't do this is cuz I play world of warcraft from time to time with my wife and neighbors and I don't think that'll run on Linux...I'm amazed it runs on this at all...let alone how amazingly well as it does....

Back
Top Bottom